Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning liners

1. Back To Top    #1

Chicago, IL

Cleaning liners

What does everyone use for regular cleaning of liners at the waterline? I have a vinyl liner and have seen specific products at the pool store, but now that I am hooked on BBB I figure there must be some common household product that will get the job done.

I also have a stain at the bottom of the liner in one spot, any ideas for that? Thanks!
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Cleaning liners

For general cleaning I just use the pool brush. If it requires more I use a Magic Eraser.

For the stain, try the Magic Eraser and if that doesn't work try holding a vitamin C tablet on it for a little while. If that doesn't work try holding your FC at the high end of normal for a while.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cleaning liners

I have people who insist on slathering on sunscreen right before entering the pool. As a result I have a nasty scum line. I made up a paste consisting of 8 ozs of Borax and a couple ounces of bleach. Painted it on the scum line with the pool brush and left it on for two days. Scrubbed it off with just a cloth and 99% of it is gone. What's left is faint and a result of too thin an application of paste as I was getting down to the end.
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter