Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stucco recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stucco recommendations?

I just finished tile & grout on my build and just about ready to apply stucco. What type(s) would be recommended and where to obtain it? (Houston area) Pre-colored or mix it yourself? I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 sq ft to cover.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stucco recommendations?

I used an EIFS material, which is a synthetic stucco. I also used an EIFS product that allowed for a little flex since I was a little worried about the extra movement that my kitchen might experience since it is constructed on top of my deck. The brand was Parex - Flex or something like that, but there are others that are similar. They premix whatever color you want and I was able to do about the same amount with one 5 gallon bucket. Cost was about $70-$80.

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that product available from the big box stores? Mine is also sitting on a wooden deck so that might be the type of product I should use. Although I don't have the concrete countertop like you do in your build.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

4. Back To Top    #4

Riles - I found this: http://www.parex.com/

Is this the product you used? What was the process - concrete glue then Parex? Single layer/application?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, that is the manufacturer that I used and I just found a local distributor to mix up the color.

My process was this:

- I taped all the seams and corners with a hardie tape first
    - I applied thier base coat, which come in a bag like concrete, and applied it to all the seams and corners. I think I recall the standard application called for putting down a mesh over the whole thing and then base coat over the whole thing. I did not do that.
    - I rolled on a concrete adhesive and then once it got tacky I troweled on the stucco. To be honest this didn't seem to do anything and I think it was a waste of time, but it was a process that others used so it wasn't a big deal.

Thats about it. My wife followed my trowling with a wet sponge to smooth out any imperfections before it dried. That seemed to work good, but it depends on what sort of finish you are looking for.

Good luck,

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

6. Back To Top    #6

I have already taped the seams and corners then applied a pre-mixed thinset mortar. If I am reading you right those are the only areas you applied the base coat to. So I would skip that step and go right to the concrete adhesive then apply the stucco product.

Do you know if you used the standard acrylic finish? I downloaded the Parex coverage chart. Looks like 65lb pail is the only size available. The coverage chart doesn't state what thickness it's based on. I guess I can get that from the local distributor.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm not sure what the "Standard acrylic finish" is, but that doesn't sound like what I used. I think I used the Elastic Flex Sand Finish. And that product covers about 120-130sf per pail. The distributor will hopefully be able to help you out with any questions.

9. Back To Top    #9

OK, thanks Riles.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Riles_J
    I'm not sure what the "Standard acrylic finish" is, but that doesn't sound like what I used. I think I used the Elastic Flex Sand Finish. And that product covers about 120-130sf per pail. The distributor will hopefully be able to help you out with any questions.
    I bought the flex fine. The coverage data sheet says 150-165 sq ft but the distributor told me I needed two pails for my 150 sq ft. I took his recommendation and good thing I did. I am into the 2nd pail and still have about 1/4-1/3 of the surface yet to be covered. Looks pretty good but my wife texted a picture to me earlier this morning where some thinset is showing through at the seams and screw locations on one wall. We got heavy rain yesterday after I had applied the concrete adhesive to that wall. Maybe the excess moisture in the air caused my application to go on thin. The other two sides I had done earlier covered fine w/o any show through.

11. Back To Top    #11

Glad things are going well. Having a little extra stucco is a good thing. I got by with one pail, but I needed every last ounce of it.

Sounds like you were applying yours in the exact opposite conditions that I was in. I was in scorching heat and I started on the back, which was exposed to the sun and the largest side. Maybe not the best decision in hind sight because it was setting up so fast. It all worked out though. The back looks the worst, but no one ever sees the back. Be sure and post some pics when you get finished.

Riles

12. Back To Top    #12

Not finished yet but getting close. Here's a pic (taken with phone) on Sunday after finishing the stucco before I started installing equipment. Low voltage lights need to be attached, switch plates and outlet covers need to be installed, etc. I ended up using pretty much all the two buckets of stucco. Very little left at all. Will post more pics once I get everything mounted. Have not purchased or installed overhead lighting and fan but I have pre-wired from switches to a junction box under the sink area. Trying to get it usable (probably minus lighting) for a party for my wife's friends from her work on Sept 8. Have some cleanup to do as well and may be out on a business trip for a few days next week. Gonna be cutting it close!

[attachment=0:25fae5vb]rsz_1rsz_1kitchen_stucco.jpg[/attachment:25fae5vb]
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks great! Nice job on the stucco. Can't wait to see a picture with all the bling once you have the stainless in there. Enjoy!

14. Back To Top    #14

It's in and we have used the grill already. I just haven't taken any more pics and still have some cleanup to do. Been working late at my real job every day.