New pool owner, advice please!

Jul 30, 2012
Sandpoint, ID
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for such a great resource, I have found the information here amazing! I have never owned a pool before and just had one completed a couple of weeks ago and have decided to go the BBB route.

Water has been in the pool for 15 days. Pool has been getting a couple hours of use each day by 4-8 happy people. Pool is about 725sf with 7 hours direct sunlight per day. 650sf heliocol solar heat on the roof is being used each day to keep the pool at ~88 and the spa at ~100. I do get aeration from water features (bubblers, deck jets, spa w/spillover and waterfall) that get usage probably an hour a day.

The pool company included chemical service for the first 30 days. The pool guy told me he added 10-12 pounds CYA in the skimmer two weeks ago. Two days ago my water was starting to get cloudy, yesterday it was getting worse. This is when I decided to test the water myself for the first time and found no chlorine. So yesterday I added 9 quarts 6% in the morning. Afternoon FC measured 3, was still cloudy so I added 9qts more 6%. Late afternoon FC was at 5 (where I think I want it, you tell me). In the early evening I measured FC of 3, and again early this morning FC of 3 and water is mostly clear. Yay!

Measurements from this morning using K-2006:
FC 3
CC 0
pH 8
TA 60
CH 100
CYA 40

So I read Pool School but just have some questions before I start adding more stuff to the pool to make sure I am doing it right, all this pool stuff is new to me. :-D

I think I need to do the following according to the Pool Calculator:
1. Daily - Add liquid Chlorine to get FC back to 5
2. Add 30oz muriatic acid to get PH from 8 to 7.5
3. Add 42 pounds calcium chloride to get CH from 100 to 250

Does that sounds right? Should I throw it all in at once and then measure everything again or add one at a time? If one at a time, which one should I do first? Over 40 pounds of calcium chloride sounds like a lot, should I do maybe 10 pounds at a time and re-test the water?

Thanks!

:goodjob: Sounds like you're off to a good start. One thing I would always recommend is add less than what you think you need, re-test and work your way up. It's always easier to add more than it is to undo it! I would recommend adding 50% of what you need, testing, than another 25% and testing and then the last 25% if needed.

Welcome to tfp, jimmyjoe :wave:

Once you get your ph down, remeasure you TA and adjust up to 70-80 ppm with baking soda.

After adjusting ph and TA...then:

Cloudy water is almost always a sign of algae. I would start the shocking process even with your positive OCLT, and redo the OCLT tonight at shock levels.

Hold off on the calcium chloride (and other stuff) until you are done with the shocking process.

Thanks for the advice. I am working on getting the PH balanced first. I added 3 cups of muriatic acid, waited a little over an hour and tested PH went from 8 to 7.7. So I just added another 2 cups of muriatic acid to hopefully bring PH to 7.5. How long do I need to wait before I test the PH again? I have my filter pump running as well as my waterfall pump (waterfall is off, it's running to a 2" bypass in the deep end that gets a good current going through the middle of the pool). Thanks!

After baking soda:
TA 80

Last night:
FC 15
CC .5

This morning before sun hit the water:
FC 10.5 :|
CC 0 :-D
Clear sparkling water :-D

So I lost 4.5 FC overnight. I brushed the pool this morning and I'll keep adding chlorine to keep FC at ~16 today and see what happens tonight.

Since I am learning, I went ahead and tested PH and TA this morning as well. PH 8 and TA 90. Did these increase as a result of shocking the pool? Just curious. Should I not really worry about the increase in PH until the shock is complete? Thanks!

-James

Adding a bunch of chlorine... Please let me know if this looks reasonable or if you suggest I do something differently. Shock target is FC 16. Thanks!

@7:30 FC 10.5 (no Sun) -> Added 1.3 Gallons 12.5%
@8:30 FC 13.5 (1/2 Sun) -> Added 1 Gallon 12.5%
@9:30 FC 14.0 (Full Sun) -> Added 1 Gallon 12.5%
@11:00 FC 11.5 (Full Sun) -> Added 2 Gallons 12.5%

Need to go get more!

-James

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Added a total of 12 gallons of 12.5% yesterday. Lost 2 FC last night, better than 4.5 the night before. Brushed the pool again this morning and will be going back to the store to get another 12 gallons. Hopefully will lose less that 1 FC tonight!

Looking forward to a safe refreshing pool for my family, the kids are getting impatient and want to swim. Who am I kidding, so am I!!! :-D I tell them it was the pool guys fault... who was subcontracted for 30 days by the company that built the pool. Even though the chemicals and service were "included" I told him on Monday (after 15 days) not to come back to my house. In hindsight, I wish I would have searched and found this site and learned about BBB before putting water in my pool and just started doing it myself from day 1.

-James

techguy said:
Do you have any lights or other hidden places. You are doing great but it seems like you are losing a lot of FC at night.

Keep it up!
My shock is done, passed all 3 tests this morning. WOOHOO! I do have LED lights in the pool. What do you mean by other hidden places?

Mon: Lost 4.5 FC
Tue: Lost 2 FC
Wed: Lost 0 FC :-D

Boy! The locals are taking over Joe. Christian and myself are your neighbors.

As was mentioned above, many people get close but they have something growing behind the light or in the backside of the ladder. It might be worth taking out your light for 10 minutes and cleaning behind it, just so you don't have any surprises next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.