Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Salt Water In-Ground Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Salt Water In-Ground Pool

First time pool first time on a web support but your page came highly recommended. Pool has been in for about 3 weeks and I tested the water last night and the CyA is in the 0 category and I wasn't sure if I needed to increase the chlorine generator or not - the FCI, Alk, and pH are in the ok category? The generator is currently set at 20% for the sanitizer output. If I need to increase the sanitizer output, how long do I keep it at 40% before I turn it back down to 20%. Thanks in advance for the help.
    6000 gallon (18' steel tube frame above ground, 48" tall)
    "C" type cartridge filter
    Pump Type : F2000c GPH flow: 2000

My source water is Well water, with high ammonia, and high iron levels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Salt Water In-Ground Pool

You are going to want to add some CYA. Usually with salt water you want to be between 60 and 80. Otherwise you are going to end up overworking your salt system. Can you post a full set of test results?

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome

Please post up the specific numbers for all you levels as that will help us better advise you. Also tell us how you got the test results. Please see:
    pool-school/read_before_you_post

If your CYA is indeed close to 0, it is very likely that the sun is breaking down the FC just about as fast as the SWG can make it.

Why do you want to increase the SWG output? It almost sounds like you think that would increase your CYA levels.

Read through Pool School (link in signature and at upper right of page) a few times to get a better feel for the water chemistry and you will find the levels that we recommend (CYA of 70-80ppm for SWG pools).

How does your water look?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Those percentages don't mean a whole lot. You put it on the setting that will maintain your FC. I recommend keeping it around 4-5 PPM. Mine runs at 70%. Like Christian said, post your test results. Some tests say you are in range when truthfully you are off.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

The FCI is at at 1, the Alk is at 80 and the pH is at 7.2. The water is very clear and it does sparkle. The liner is very slippery but it seemed better after I vaccummed it. The contractor who put the pool in gave me a 5 minute class on the gnerator and he actually lowed it to 20% before he left so I thought if I needed to increased or decrease one of the chemicals, I would have to use the sanitizer output but I guess not. Glad I asked for help. I'll read the Pool School.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry I missed the part where jblizzle asked how I am getting my results... test strips...

7. Back To Top    #7

Slippery liner is likely a sign of algae.

Most likely you need to do the shocking process.

Test strip results are often wrong more times then right. See link in my sig for an appropriate test kit.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Having an accurate test kit is invaluable for maintaining your pool with a minimum amount of time and expense. I noticed a big difference in my daily chlorine burn off when my CYA is in the 70-80 range vs 50-60 ppm. Consequently I was able to dial back my SWG run time to 25 to 30%. Good info on this site, and if you follow their recommendations you'll enjoy more trouble free pool time. A good test kit is a must.
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.