New Pool Options

JayCT

Jul 30, 2012
I need help. We had a 25 year old 27-foot above-ground pool in our backyard. We recently took it and the worn deck that was attached to it and our house down to make way for an addition to our house. Now we need to figure out what to replace them with. DW wants another above-ground pool primarily to save costs. We just spent a fortune on the addition and she is concerned about the cost of in-ground. I need help talking her into this. She knows that a good above-ground with a deck will cost $12,000 (she read that online). She also knows that the liners in those pools need replacing every 8 to 10 years and that our dogs should not be going in it because they can tear the liner.

I have been reading about different types of pools and think either gunite or fiberglass would work. our yard is level and has sandy soil so either would be fine. I understand fiberglass is less expensive than gunite, but how much less? Also what are the advantages of in-ground verses above-ground? Any help would be appreciated. Jay

previously, we had almost exactly what you described. AGP with a great deck. We used the heck out of it and thought it was the cat's meow! When it got destroyed by weather, my husband shopped around and found an in-ground kit was the same price as a good AGP. We purchased our 20x40 liner pool for $8000 for the kit. this included the walls, pump...everything you need except the plumbing. We did add a lot of extras but it wasn't completely necessary. He did it all himself over the course of 5 months. It was a ton of work, but we haven't looked back. We swim every single day from march till october. every weekend is a party around here. We keep asking each other, "what did we used to do when we didn't have a pool". As fun as an AGP was, it could not come close to comparing to our in-ground.

Advantages of in-ground...
they look cool
any shape
any size
any depth
kids can swim while I do yard work (no more being held prisoner on the deck)
you can jump in from any side
possibility of a diving board
possibility of a slide
more people can lounge around an in-ground pool
hidden plumbing
pool lights= night swimming!
concrete around the entire pool
grilling pool side
more room to float around the pool
it's pretty!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.