Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Options

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Options

I need help. We had a 25 year old 27-foot above-ground pool in our backyard. We recently took it and the worn deck that was attached to it and our house down to make way for an addition to our house. Now we need to figure out what to replace them with. DW wants another above-ground pool primarily to save costs. We just spent a fortune on the addition and she is concerned about the cost of in-ground. I need help talking her into this. She knows that a good above-ground with a deck will cost $12,000 (she read that online). She also knows that the liners in those pools need replacing every 8 to 10 years and that our dogs should not be going in it because they can tear the liner.

I have been reading about different types of pools and think either gunite or fiberglass would work. our yard is level and has sandy soil so either would be fine. I understand fiberglass is less expensive than gunite, but how much less? Also what are the advantages of in-ground verses above-ground? Any help would be appreciated. Jay

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Options

previously, we had almost exactly what you described. AGP with a great deck. We used the heck out of it and thought it was the cat's meow! When it got destroyed by weather, my husband shopped around and found an in-ground kit was the same price as a good AGP. We purchased our 20x40 liner pool for $8000 for the kit. this included the walls, pump...everything you need except the plumbing. We did add a lot of extras but it wasn't completely necessary. He did it all himself over the course of 5 months. It was a ton of work, but we haven't looked back. We swim every single day from march till october. every weekend is a party around here. We keep asking each other, "what did we used to do when we didn't have a pool". As fun as an AGP was, it could not come close to comparing to our in-ground.

Advantages of in-ground...
    they look cool
    any shape
    any size
    any depth
    kids can swim while I do yard work (no more being held prisoner on the deck)
    you can jump in from any side
    possibility of a diving board
    possibility of a slide
    more people can lounge around an in-ground pool
    hidden plumbing
    pool lights= night swimming!
    concrete around the entire pool
    grilling pool side
    more room to float around the pool
    it's pretty!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

3. Back To Top    #3

My wife wants to replace your Ag with an in-ground. Lucky for me I got volunteered to install it. What brand of pool did you buy?
    18'x36' in ground vinyl 26,000 gal 1hp Jandy pump/sand filter truclear swcg

4. Back To Top    #4

we purchased a resin wall kit from polar pool. we have a pool thread if you want to check it out and see some pics.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

After reading the description of your pool I realized I just read your build thread the other night. You built your own steps if I remember right.

6. Back To Top    #6

yep, that was us! We do love our steps, but wow, what a PITA!
    Theresa and/or Gary

7. Back To Top    #7

Pita maybe but you did an awesome job.