new here, want to start BBB

While a CC of 1ppm is not good, you could actually give it another day of testing before you start the shock process.

Since your water is clear, I would just elevate the chlorine up to about 20ppm tonight and then check your CC's in the morning.

If it has dropped to .5ppm or less, there is no need to shock and you can let FC drift back down to normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Liz91899 said:
How long do I run the filter? Thanks
Generally, it's recommended you run the pump for half an hour after adding chemicals to let them mix. However, since you're performing essentially an abbreviated shock process, I'd let it run all night. If it's too noisy or whatever, run it as long as you can, and get in there with a brush to be sure it's totally mixed, no dead spots in the circulation.

Have you read ?

I've been walking around my pool with Bleach (other times Borax...) and adding maybe 1/6 of container in front of each jet. So it takes me maybe 2 minutes to empty a container then rinse. Some at each jet waiting just a bit between. Does this sound like a good way to continue adding chemicals when needed?

Liz91899 said:
My TF-100 today results:
FC - 14
CC - .5
PH - 7.5
TA - 90
CH - 50
CYA - 50

I raised my FC to 20 Monday night to lower my CC: 1. Didn't test yesterday, the weather was cloudy with some sun. Is it safe for the kids to swim in it today with the FC at 14?
The water is clear? Then, yes, because FC is below shock level.

You really ought to run the overnight loss test to be sure it's all dead. Because if it isn't, you're still soooo close it would be a shame to not deliver the death blow.

Liz91899 said:
Water is very clear. Should I shock it because my CC is 0.5 or just do the overnight test?
Sigh....

I thought you were undertaking the shock process? If not, then why do you have such high FC?

The three tests to know when you're done with the shock process:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
And the water is clear.

You have two of the three for sure. All that's left is the overnight loss test. If that passes, you can let FC drift down to normal levels.

My TF-100 today results:
FC - 2.5 + CC - .5 = TC - 3
PH - 7.1
TA - 80
CH - 420
CYA - 70 I think, this is a hard one to be sure...
Water is perhaps 85% clear (been clearing every day since I started attempting BBB). Filter cleaned Sunday, showing good.

So I am thinking add a little chlorine via bleach, then a little Borax to raise PH to optimal.
How are the other numbers and advice? Brushing every day. Not much of anything anywhere except dust on shallow deck where pool cleaner does not go.

Thanks.

Richard, I misunderstood when 257wbymag suggested a quick shock. I thought a quick shock is just to raise my FC to 20 with one bleach application. I also thought my CC needed to be at 0.

My other problem is we are going away Thursday-Sunday. Do I throw a couple of pucks in the floater :( or have my neighbour put in bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.