Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often and how long do you run your cleaner?...

1. Back To Top    #1

How often and how long do you run your cleaner?...

I have the Polaris 280. Right now I have it on a timer to run from 2am-7am every day. I am trying to figure out if that is overkill or not. We have no trees in our yard, pool is full sun, only thing around it is a 3 foot wide river rock bed with pots of different flowers, nothing planted in the ground. Right behind us is a huge hay field. We are very rural. My bag is not filled by any means when I get it out in the mornings...mostly hair from my 5 girls, with some misc little bugs and such!! I am just wondering if I turned the time back any if it would clean the whole pool since it is such a rondom pattern.

How do you run your cleaners?
    ~39,000 gallon True L, 43x28x18, Steel Wall, Vinyl Liner; 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains, 3 returns, 1 dedicated cleaner line with Polaris booster pump; Polaris 280
    Hayward Pro Series 300 pound Sand Filter, Hayward Heat Pump 116K BTU
    2 Hayward Colorlogic LED Lights; Diving Board, X-Stream Slide, 3 Polaris Mini Jets; Step and Leisure Bench in deep end (SwimOut)
    Aqua Rite SWCG with Aqua Plus Automation and Controls (Goldline); Aqua Pod Remote for Controls and Aqua Logic Base Station

2. Back To Top    #2

Allen, Texas
    I only run mine for 1 hour per day, 5 days a week (no weekends), but my pool is half the size of yours.

16.5k IG gunite pool/spa, pebble-tec type plaster, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy 2hp ePump main pump, Jandy 1.5hp Stealth on waterfall, Polaris 280, iAqualink wifi control, Colorsplash LED pool/spa lights

3. Back To Top    #3
    Katy, TX
    Best thing for you to do is cut back the polaris run time by an hour or two, see how that works for a week or so then cut back some more if it seems to be keeping up with the debris. I believe typically, 3 hrs a day is plenty for normal (not extreme amounts of leaves/dust in the air) conditions.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Tx
    I only run mine every other day for 3 hours, but I don't really have much of a swimmer load. Some days I take a dip, but no more than an hour, and some times my daughter joins me for 30-45 not much time.

do as ktdave suggested, slowly cut back on the run time and see how it does.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

5. Back To Top    #5
    SC Midlands
    I run my 280 2 hours a day. We get a lot of sand in our pool and that seems to be enough to take care of the sand and anything else that may fall in.
    18' x 36' Freeform IG Gunite with 7' spa, Super Blue DiamondBrite, Pentair 1.5 hp circulation pump, Pentair 2.0 hp spa booster pump, Pentair Triton II Sand filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Jandy Laars LX 250k btu NG heater, TF-100 test kit from

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I set up my clients polaris' to run 3 hrs. a day