CYA... is this the right stuff I have now?

Jul 26, 2012
After a few trips to the store for CYA (new to pools and BBB) I think I found the right stuff?

I don't want to open it, as I then can't take it back (to see what it looks like). I feels like a powder or granular. The brand is called Caribbean Blue, and it just says "SunBlock", "Swimming Pool Water Conditioner Contains Cyanuric Acid". Thinking maybe I should mail order the CyA if this isn't the right stuff. Where to get it somewhat fast? Just started the Bleach, 3rd day and no CYA in yet.

When I asked for it, the pool salesperson, asked me what I needed just CYA for, and I said the method, I am using calls for it. She asked me what method, I said the Bleach method, and she said we don't recmd bleach (acted like she was going to scold me :lol: ) and that bleach will ruin your liner. I just igored her little rant, and walked off....

Is dichlor the same stuff?

Dichlor is a type of stabilized chlorine that has some CYA in it. Regular stabilizer should just be CYA and as close to 100% as possible. What does the "active ingredients" label say?

Nothing on the labels tell what is in the container.

This is frustrating :? Ready to take back, that company does have what is listed inside a bottle. Thought you couldn't do that, but maybe because it isn't food they can get away with? Sigh....

Does anyone know of an online source? Our local Walmart didn't have any. Is is supposed to be solid isn't it? Again not sure if this is powder or granules. There is a solid too?

VegMaPa said:

This is frustrating :? Ready to take back, that company does have what is listed inside a bottle. Thought you couldn't do that, but maybe because it isn't food they can get away with? Sigh....

Does anyone know of an online source? Our local Walmart didn't have any. Is is supposed to be solid isn't it? Again not sure if this is powder or granules. There is a solid too?
There's granular and there's liquid.

You're learning one of the basics of TFP: don't put anything in the pool unless you know what it is!

Try Lowes or Home Depot for CYA. If you bought that at the pool store, it's likely that the price is a little hiked anyway. If these people can't figure out if it's pure CYA or not, it's probably not a good idea to use it and the pool store doesn't deserve your business if they don't know why CYA would be needed in a pool in the first place.

VegMaPa said:

Is there any way that you can post a picture of the product? That can help us identify exactly what you have here.

How do i post a pic? have a smartphone. Sure could be done? I am skeptical anyway cuz there is no list of ingredients.

Went back to Walmart...just in case could be there and missed it. Nope none.
Went to home depot. None there. Should i order online somewhere?

THink I need to up my bleach each evening. each day is used up. i am putting 84oz in every night. great the next morning, but on sunny day used up... back down to zero :?

I find it at Home Depot, Lowe's, WalMart or for a premium price at a pool store. The product is usually labeled as "stabilizer". The ingredients should read as close to 100% cyanuratic acid as you can get. If you aren't sure of the ingredients, don't use it. I think the last time I bought any it was about $18 for four pounds at Lowe's

omg.... I am starting to panic. I can't find it anywhere - Walmart, HomeDepot, Lowe's, nor at the local pool store. I want the granules, and only can get it online, which takes up to a week. I want to order, but should I put that much bleach in my pool everyday? I don't care about the cost, just want to have bleach at the end of the day.

This is the fourth day of putting bleach (84oz each day in my pool) ,a ph level of 7.8, and in the morning the CL level is about 3 or so, and by evening the level goes down to zero.each.day. Because this is a new pool/new fill (last Wed, and today is Monday) I have no CYA at all in, and because now I cannot find it, what should I be plugging in for a desired level? When I put 6 as the desired level, it still says target 1-3 though? Should I put 6 as the target?

My husband is putting in 168oz of bleach now.... panicking here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well if you can't find plain stabilizer, use dichlor shock powder to chlorinate. It has CYA in it.

It's usually sold in 1 lb packages, possibly 12/case. Shock powder is either going to list Calcium Hypochlorite or dichloro-something as the ingredient. You want the dichlor stuff. So read the label.

Are you sure you've exhausted everywhere for CYA? Even ace hardware can get the stuff. http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... Id=1381715 What about the store where you bought the Caribbean Blue?

Hi VegMaPa and welcome to TFP! :)

Ok, don't panic. :wave:
Putting in bleach is your problem solver as long as you have chlorine in the pool, it will be fine and we can work on the total balance over time.
It does look like the sunblock is right CYA. (thanks to J20832!)
Use the pool calculator for a target of 30ppm CYA for a start.
http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/
Put it in a sock or nylon and hang over the return in the pool.
Next check pH, add as needed to be about 7.2-7.6 range. (see Pool School)
pool-school/
Use this chart and add chlorine to get to high side of normal for CYA of 30ppm. (2-4 ppm)
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Don't worry about over shooting your chlorine level as your chlorine shock value # is 12ppm @ CYA of 30ppm. Any ppm of chlorine under this is fine.

So if you get more like 5 or 6 ppm chlorine , your fine. You will just use a little more bleach. No problem to you or the pool! Swimming in the pool up to your shock value # is totally safe.
Retest CYA in 5-7 days. Monitor FC, usage of chlorine and CC's.

Chuck

J20832 said:
The msds only lists cyanuric acid as ingredients... if you are happy with the price, go for it!

http://www.cbpoolspa.com/images/uploads/Sun_Block.pdf

From the manufacturers website...

http://www.cbpoolspa.com/index.php/products/enhancers/sunblock/

If you were confused, the above post confirms that Sun Block is pure CYA. Go ahead and use it. Don't worry about using dichlor, this is the simplest and most accurate way to raise CYA.

Put it in a sock, hang in front of a return or off a ladder and periodically squish it out. CYA only comes in liquid or granular (solid).

I thought every product is required to put the "active ingredients" on the packaging for salable items? I have learned to shop the ingredients list and stop looking for the product name. Its the same way if you are buying poly-based Algaecide. You can find 30 different algaecides at the store. I stopped looking at the big print and started reading the fine print. I just look for the poly--xxx words on the label and confirm there is isn't any copper or cupru- products. With all the "combo" products on the market, you need to be sure you know what you are buying... just like bleach vs liquid chlorinator...

This also works for medicine. You find the national brand and then look for the same ingredients in the store brand, by reading the fine print.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.