New AGP owner

Jun 16, 2011
Denton, Tx
Well if I didn't logon here with multiple computers, then I might of noticed my introduction didn't post.

Hello everyone, I'm a new 17' AGP owner. I just finished setting it up yesterday and it was great hanging out in the pool. :-D
I've been reading Pool School and I temporary bought a Walmart HTH 6 to 1 test kit to check out my initial numbers.
My Chlorine is 9ppm
My PH is 8ppm
Alkalinity is 120 ppm
Hardness is 120ppm
CYA is non existant.

I've read about adding Dichlor but I think my numbers are too high right now.
I'm trying to figure out the Calculator and I guess I'm reading it wrong.

I did buy Bleach, Borax, Baking soda, some Poly 60 and Dichlor to have.
Thanks...

First thing lower the pH to 7.5. What did you use to chlorinate the pool so far? If you used liquid bleach or cal-hypo then don't swim until the FC comes down to 1 or 2ppm. If you used dichlor then it did add some CYA to the water. You may want to get a container of HtH stabilizer from Walmart to add just CYA to the pool. You will want CYA to be about 30ppm. CYA will not show up on a test for about a week after it is added, so treat the pool as if the amount you added is reflected on a test when adding FC. The best way to add powdered CYA to a pool is to put the powder in a clean sock, tie it shut and hang it in front of a pool return with the pump running. Give the sock a few squeezes several times a day until all the powder is disolved.

zea3 said:
First thing lower the pH to 7.5. What did you use to chlorinate the pool so far? If you used liquid bleach or cal-hypo then don't swim until the FC comes down to 1 or 2ppm. If you used dichlor then it did add some CYA to the water. You may want to get a container of HtH stabilizer from Walmart to add just CYA to the pool. You will want CYA to be about 30ppm. CYA will not show up on a test for about a week after it is added, so treat the pool as if the amount you added is reflected on a test when adding FC. The best way to add powdered CYA to a pool is to put the powder in a clean sock, tie it shut and hang it in front of a pool return with the pump running. Give the sock a few squeezes several times a day until all the powder is disolved.

Well that's just it, these are the numbers right out of my water hose that I filled the pool with. Just city water.
I was just reading about the Stabilizer and will get some of it tonight to add.

Welcome to TFP!

Scooby59 said:
Well that's just it, these are the numbers right out of my water hose that I filled the pool with. Just city water.

No worries. "City Water" can be all over the place. :)

You'll still want your pH down in the 7.5 range though, as advised. The easiest and safest, though slightly more expensive, way to do it is with dry acid, usually sold as 'pH Down' or 'ph Reducer'. You can also go the Muratic Acid route if you prefer. Cheaper, but it takes more precautions and careful handling.

In either case, the Pool Calculator (linked in my sig below) will help you know how much you need.

Welcome to tfp, Scooby59 :wave:

No need to test cya (stabilizer) again (or to start with since fill water won't have any), until you put some in there and let it be for a few days...cya can take up to a week to show up fully on the test.