Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New AGP owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New AGP owner

Well if I didn't logon here with multiple computers, then I might of noticed my introduction didn't post.

Hello everyone, I'm a new 17' AGP owner. I just finished setting it up yesterday and it was great hanging out in the pool.
    I've been reading Pool School and I temporary bought a Walmart HTH 6 to 1 test kit to check out my initial numbers.
    My Chlorine is 9ppm
    My PH is 8ppm
    Alkalinity is 120 ppm
    Hardness is 120ppm
    CYA is non existant.

I've read about adding Dichlor but I think my numbers are too high right now.
    I'm trying to figure out the Calculator and I guess I'm reading it wrong.

I did buy Bleach, Borax, Baking soda, some Poly 60 and Dichlor to have.
    Thanks...
    17' Round Above Ground Polygroup Pool, 5725 Gallons, F1500c Pump with 1500 GPH Flow.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New AGP owner

First thing lower the pH to 7.5. What did you use to chlorinate the pool so far? If you used liquid bleach or cal-hypo then don't swim until the FC comes down to 1 or 2ppm. If you used dichlor then it did add some CYA to the water. You may want to get a container of HtH stabilizer from Walmart to add just CYA to the pool. You will want CYA to be about 30ppm. CYA will not show up on a test for about a week after it is added, so treat the pool as if the amount you added is reflected on a test when adding FC. The best way to add powdered CYA to a pool is to put the powder in a clean sock, tie it shut and hang it in front of a pool return with the pump running. Give the sock a few squeezes several times a day until all the powder is disolved.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    First thing lower the pH to 7.5. What did you use to chlorinate the pool so far? If you used liquid bleach or cal-hypo then don't swim until the FC comes down to 1 or 2ppm. If you used dichlor then it did add some CYA to the water. You may want to get a container of HtH stabilizer from Walmart to add just CYA to the pool. You will want CYA to be about 30ppm. CYA will not show up on a test for about a week after it is added, so treat the pool as if the amount you added is reflected on a test when adding FC. The best way to add powdered CYA to a pool is to put the powder in a clean sock, tie it shut and hang it in front of a pool return with the pump running. Give the sock a few squeezes several times a day until all the powder is disolved.

Well that's just it, these are the numbers right out of my water hose that I filled the pool with. Just city water.
    I was just reading about the Stabilizer and will get some of it tonight to add.
    17' Round Above Ground Polygroup Pool, 5725 Gallons, F1500c Pump with 1500 GPH Flow.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby59
    Well that's just it, these are the numbers right out of my water hose that I filled the pool with. Just city water.
    No worries. "City Water" can be all over the place.

You'll still want your pH down in the 7.5 range though, as advised. The easiest and safest, though slightly more expensive, way to do it is with dry acid, usually sold as 'pH Down' or 'ph Reducer'. You can also go the Muratic Acid route if you prefer. Cheaper, but it takes more precautions and careful handling.

In either case, the Pool Calculator (linked in my sig below) will help you know how much you need.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to tfp, Scooby59

No need to test cya (stabilizer) again (or to start with since fill water won't have any), until you put some in there and let it be for a few days...cya can take up to a week to show up fully on the test.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I didn't realize I was testing the water wrong.
    I'm using a HTH 6 to 1 test kit and read the Chlorine wrong.
    I just tested my water and at 92 degrees, I'm getting
    3.5 CL
    8 PH
    120 TA
    120 TH