deck-o-seal mastic

Jul 21, 2012
When I bought this house a few months ago, (First pool), the guy who inspected it said the "mastic joint", was "deck-o-seal", and needed replacement. I can see this joint has cracks in it.
What is the procedure for removing the stuff and replacing it.
I haven't poked on it yet, but it appears I might be able to just pry/scrape the stuff out. Do I have to use the same material to replace it. Are there multiple types. Where can you buy it. Does it go in with a caluk gun.
I hate to pay people to do things I can do myself, unless it is really really hard, or highly knowledge sensitive.
Thanks for any help.

I used a screw driver and putty knife to remove the old stuf and a paint brush to clean out the gap. I found Deck O Seal to be expensive and sticky. I didn't buy enough Deck O Seal and finished the job with silicon specified for outdoor use. The silicon was easier to work, after putting it in the gap using a caulking gun, I ran my finger over it to make it smooth. I wore latex gloves when doing this. For me the silicon is holding up better than Deck O Seal but I think it's because I was sparse with the Deck O Seal since it was more expensive, I was trying to make it go longer. It's do-able but it takes time.

The last time I did that job I just pulled out any old loose sealer, than poured sand into the gap to back fill it within 1/2 inch or less of the surface and then fill the rest of the gap with DecoSeal. Pretty easy and looked fine. I would think since you just kind of pour the DecoSeal in it would be a lot easier than calking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.