Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: deck-o-seal mastic

1. Back To Top    #1

deck-o-seal mastic

When I bought this house a few months ago, (First pool), the guy who inspected it said the "mastic joint", was "deck-o-seal", and needed replacement. I can see this joint has cracks in it.
    What is the procedure for removing the stuff and replacing it.
    I haven't poked on it yet, but it appears I might be able to just pry/scrape the stuff out. Do I have to use the same material to replace it. Are there multiple types. Where can you buy it. Does it go in with a caluk gun.
    I hate to pay people to do things I can do myself, unless it is really really hard, or highly knowledge sensitive.
    Thanks for any help.
    Don Muncy
    14,000g IG Gunnite 10 yrs old DE filter 2HP pump Dallas TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Glendora, California

Re: deck-o-seal mastic

I used a screw driver and putty knife to remove the old stuf and a paint brush to clean out the gap. I found Deck O Seal to be expensive and sticky. I didn't buy enough Deck O Seal and finished the job with silicon specified for outdoor use. The silicon was easier to work, after putting it in the gap using a caulking gun, I ran my finger over it to make it smooth. I wore latex gloves when doing this. For me the silicon is holding up better than Deck O Seal but I think it's because I was sparse with the Deck O Seal since it was more expensive, I was trying to make it go longer. It's do-able but it takes time.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

3. Back To Top    #3

The last time I did that job I just pulled out any old loose sealer, than poured sand into the gap to back fill it within 1/2 inch or less of the surface and then fill the rest of the gap with DecoSeal. Pretty easy and looked fine. I would think since you just kind of pour the DecoSeal in it would be a lot easier than calking.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I hear that an oscillating multifunction power tool, like the one at this link,, is a handy tool for getting the old grout out.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.