Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from a Cheesehead!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from a Cheesehead!

Hey all, just bought a new home in South-western Wisconsin that happens to have a 24' - 12,500 gallon above ground, in-ground pool. It is a vinyl liner and looks nice except for the leaves and brown gunk at the bottom. This house was a foreclosure and the previous let pretty much everything go, including the pool. I did find bunch of Baquacil chemicals and they are going straight into the garbage. I've been lurking for the past week and decided to go the BBB route. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and pictures to show you guys and gals after we close on the house and the water warms up.

Thanks for all the great info here!

Matt
    24' round AG pool 12,500 gallon. Intex SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome. You need to know what chemicals so you can tell if you need to convert or not. Biogaurd, the makers of Baquacil, also makes conventional pool chemicals. Some of them may be worth saving. (Or selling on eBay).
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Welcome to TFP!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the Forum. You have a long haul to a pool store so the BBB method will probably work very well for you.
    Are you going to drain and start from scratch or try to treat and convert the current water?

BTW I grew up in Lancaster WI just west of you. The swim season is short but the pool will be a lot of fun.

I don’t know enough to give any advice but you will get plenty from the others here. Good luck from a fellow cheese head.
    10,000 Gal. - Plaster – I.G. - Sand Filter – NOT USING MY Auto Puck Chlorinator.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Hey Matt and Welcome
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Even though you are a cheesehead ( Cowboy die hard here) I guess I can still welcome you
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone, yes the pool season will be short, and I just plan on converting the water that is in it, I'm sure they didn't load it up with Baq before winter because they didn't do anything too well the last year they owned the house.

Bpotter, I went to college at UW-Platteville, and used to work summers for the LaFayette County Highway Dept. so I've been thru Lancaster quite a few times.

Appraisal for the house just came in today, and it was only $700 more than we bought it for, so there goes all the upgrading we were hoping to do So naturally I'm in a great mood tonight

Thanks for all the future help I'm sure I'll need!
    24' round AG pool 12,500 gallon. Intex SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8
    Let me welcome you to the forum in my own special way:

GO BEARS!!!!!
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit