Pool Pump Impeller Issues

ut*tx

Jul 29, 2012
Details:
Gunite 25,000 gallons
Chlorine base w/waterfall (no heater)
Pump-Century Centurion, A.O. Smith, Serial No. BW6-01, Part 7-177476-20, Serial No. BW6-01, HZ-60, RPM-3450, Volts-230/115, Amps-11.2/22.4

The impeller will not spin at all. If it is supposed to move freely, it does not move at all. I have disassembled the motor, from the unit, but am unable to access the impeller. I am not able to remove the top of the motor to get to the impeller to see what the problem may be. I have removed all nuts and bolts from the motor, but am still not able to access the impeller.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Impeller Issues

I have modified my subject title. I am new to this, so forgive me if I do not put the "correct" wording. The impeller is the problem, which is attached to the motor, correct?

It's very possible it has locked up. If you can gain access to the shaft from the back of the motor you might be able to "jump start" it. With the switch to the motor off. Take a crescent wrench, pliers, 1/2 or 9/16' open ended wrench and spin the shaft, turn it clockwise & counterclockwise. If it turns then you might be in luck. Flip the switch to the motor & see if it turns over. Auto Parts stores carry a lubricant for electric components. You can try spraying that around the impeller and the back where you access the shaft. WD40 is FLAMMABLE and should not be used on electric motors.

If you've removed all the bolts from the motor and the pump casing the casing will come apart. There's a seam where the casing halves come apart. You may have to pry it apart because it's been sitting but it will come apart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.