Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump Impeller Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump Impeller Issues

Details:
    Gunite 25,000 gallons
    Chlorine base w/waterfall (no heater)
    Pump-Century Centurion, A.O. Smith, Serial No. BW6-01, Part 7-177476-20, Serial No. BW6-01, HZ-60, RPM-3450, Volts-230/115, Amps-11.2/22.4

The impeller will not spin at all. If it is supposed to move freely, it does not move at all. I have disassembled the motor, from the unit, but am unable to access the impeller. I am not able to remove the top of the motor to get to the impeller to see what the problem may be. I have removed all nuts and bolts from the motor, but am still not able to access the impeller.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pump Impeller Issues

The information you gave is from the motor, not the pump. If you can post the pump information, or a picture, then we can better advise you.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Impeller Issues

I have modified my subject title. I am new to this, so forgive me if I do not put the "correct" wording. The impeller is the problem, which is attached to the motor, correct?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The motor is the engine. The pump is the body it's attached to.

What kind of pump is it? Manufacture? Is there a cap on the back middle of the motor that can be removed and expose the "axle" of the motor.

Has the motor been working recently?
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool has been idle for 7 months and has not been in use. Prior to this, it was working fine. I will look for the other information.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It's very possible it has locked up. If you can gain access to the shaft from the back of the motor you might be able to "jump start" it. With the switch to the motor off. Take a crescent wrench, pliers, 1/2 or 9/16' open ended wrench and spin the shaft, turn it clockwise & counterclockwise. If it turns then you might be in luck. Flip the switch to the motor & see if it turns over. Auto Parts stores carry a lubricant for electric components. You can try spraying that around the impeller and the back where you access the shaft. WD40 is FLAMMABLE and should not be used on electric motors.
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you've removed all the bolts from the motor and the pump casing the casing will come apart. There's a seam where the casing halves come apart. You may have to pry it apart because it's been sitting but it will come apart.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit