Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: could my issue be coming out of the hose

1. Back To Top    #1

could my issue be coming out of the hose

Hey all

Still struggling with some issues that I've had all summer. TA is and has been hovering around 200 all summer (and yes I've added almost 2 full bottles of Muratic Acid this summer)...PH has been as high as 8 but is currently sitting at 7.8. Other numbers are all ok (FC 7 as it is coming down slowly from a shock, CC 0.5, CYA 40)

I'm going to test the water coming out of my hose but was just wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this issue?

Thanks again for all the great info on this board...

Mick
    18x36 (30k gallons) Vinyl In-ground pool Sand Filter, Opened 04/2008

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: could my issue be coming out of the hose

Totally possible, it comes up now and then on this forum, just do a search for "high TA fill water" or something similar. The other thing is using a lot of soda ash or borax, that would also cause a rise in TA.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you live somewhere in the Southwest, it's almost certain to be high TA. Testing is the only way to be sure. Fill out your signature line.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Test the fill water, my tap water has a TA of 340.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

My fill water is around 350. Lots of days over 100 degrees with very little rain results in having to top off the pool often. Since my pool is seasonal, I just add acid when I get around 7.7 and the TA comes down some, but I do not actively focus on lowering it. I was 225 when I tested last and I add acid about every 5 days.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

6. Back To Top    #6

My fill is over 500... yes, it's possible I'm ecstatic about having it down near 200 -- and that's after.. umm.. 12+ bottles of acid.
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

If you live somewhere in the Southwest, it's almost certain to be high TA. Testing is the only way to be sure. Fill out your signature line.

DONE

8. Back To Top    #8

"and yes I've added almost 2 full bottles of Muratic Acid this summer"

That is virtually no muriatic acid at all. I add that much in a week. You need to add what it takes to get your pH down in the low 7s over and over again to lower TA.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

Water from the source was it...PH is 7.8 and the TA is over 200.

Guess I'll grab some bottles of Muratic Acid.

On another note, my run of bad luck continues...as the glider on my automatic cover broke and ripped a hole in my liner. SERENITY NOW!!!!!

Any how the repair man came out and looked at it and said that I have high phosphates, he could tell by the marks on the pool liner. You need a $30 bottle of Phos-free or something like that...I just shook my head and said thanks for the suggestion but I stick to the BBB method. He had no idea what it was.

Mick

10. Back To Top    #10

Good for you sticking to your 'pool management'. Phosphates are not an issue!
    Mona SE MN
    24' round 48" high AG
    Meteor Sand Filter
    1.5 HP pump