TFPC for Beginners old comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BBB for Beginners

altusfirst said:
About how much gallons of chlorine should I expect to use in a 20,000 gallon well maintained pool??

Just trying to think about the expense monthly. :-D

The amount of chlorine needed will depend on the current CYA level. You can use PoolMath to calculate how much of any chemical needed to balance your pool. Good test results are key to keeping the pool balanced. You will need a high quality FAS/DPD test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or a TF 100 for reliable test results.

altusfirst said:
About how much gallons of chlorine should I expect to use in a 20,000 gallon well maintained pool??

Just trying to think about the expense monthly. :-D
I have a 16,000 gallon pool and I use roughly a quart of 12.5% liquid chlorine every day during the summer. It's about a dollar a day. Your pool is bigger, so you'll use a little more. And if your pool gets a lot of use, especially kids, you'll need more. I would say, for budgeting, no more than $2/ day in summer. You'll use a lot less in the winter.

I am so sick of replacing the components of my SWG system, I too am thinking about going Bleach.
They say that you replace the salt cell only every 3 years, to the tune of $300 minimum.
In reality, the box fails more often than the cell, so in essence the whole system needs replacing on a 3 year basis. Except that you have to debug the darn thing pretty much every year, because you never know if the cell is faulty or the darn circuit board. I have changed both this time to no avail. So I think something is amiss in the box itself, outside of the board. New boxes run $500 minimum, sometimes you can repair the boards yourself, I estimate 50% of the time. Not this time.

So if we are talking $1/day of bleach, which is seems realistic based upon what I have been putting in the past 2 weeks since my recent failure. (Actually, I used 90oz in the second week, after initially bringing up the level from 0ppm, when I discovered the cell failure.) That's 30oz every other day, which is only 50 cents/day. (But winter is coming, so consumption is less, right?)

It is disappointing to have to check the chemistry everyday, I was hoping for more of a weekly ritual.
(Maybe that's why when my SWG fails, I don't notice it until the pool has fallen to 0ppm!)

So the math could go like this: $1/day summer, $0.50 winter, for a bleach cost of 365 * 0.75 = $273/year in bleach.
That's about the cost of replacing the cell, which happens every 3rd year.
New boards run $300, also every 3 years, so that makes 2 years out of 3 an even proposition.

Salt is not free either, and has to be added more frequently than you'd think, at least 1 bag per month.
(You lose salt when you backwash. After heavy rains, and in spring/fall, you have to backwash more than usual.) So $7 * 12 = $84/year in salt (And that's a WalMart/Sam's price!)

Let's consider 3 years expense:
Bleach: $273 * 3 = $821.25
SWG: Salt $84 * 3 = $252 + $300 for salt cell + $300 for a board = $852 + $? electricity to run the cell

Cost is about a wash. (If you do the work yourself. The "pool store" charged me $600 for my first defective board replacement.)

So it comes down to this:

Would you rather:
1. Test your pool daily and add a bit of bleach?
2. Go through a week-long, hair-pulling debug session once a year and replace a bunch of hardware?
3. Replace the entire salt system $900 every 3rd year (when some part has failed), sparing the debug and granting 2 trouble free years?

So I'll be pulling the fuse on my salt system and picking up some bleach at Sams Club this weekend.

Yup. We often say that in the long run, the cost is a wash whether you use bleach or SWG and is not a driving factor. But the SWG gives added convenience.

I agree. For me it's not a big deal to manually put some bleach in everyday. Sometimes I don't test everyday if the conditions are the same. I know how much FC I lose and just look at the log I keep and add accordingly. Never had an algae outbreak so I must be doing something right.

Going well so far. A bonus: I no longer have to buy muriatic acid to control the ph.
Pool stays at 7.5 all the time. So the choice is either buying and adding bleach or buying and adding dangerous muriatic acid. Forgot to include that in my cost estimate.

Also, now that it is really cold, I don't seem to have to add more than a 1/4 bottle of chlorine every week!

LotusRacerX said:
Going well so far. A bonus: I no longer have to buy muriatic acid to control the ph.
:goodjob: sounds like all is well!

LotusRacerX said:
Pool stays at 7.5 all the time. So the choice is either buying and adding bleach or buying and adding dangerous muriatic acid. Forgot to include that in my cost estimate.
Just a note...when using an swg, if you maintain proper TA levels (60-80 ppm) then you typically would not need to add acid often either.

Hmmm...my TA has never fallen below 70....I shoot for 100. Could I be keeping it too high?

I used about 4 bottles of Muriatic acid each summer, in a vain attempt to control the ph. I continually tried to reduce it from 8+ to 7.6 all summer long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: TFPC for Beginners

Just wanted to say thank you. I've been lurking around here for about a year, reading up on everything I can. I bought an Intex ultra frame 14 x 42 last year. I was unable to put it up as I had a lot of excavating to do, and due to the fact that we had a very wet spring and summer here in Georgia. I was finally able to get my pool up a little over a month ago. It's within about an inch of level all around. I started the BBB method from the beginning, bought all the stuff recommended, and so far so good. My pool has been crystal clear so far (knock on wood), and it's been so simple to maintain. Me and the wife are thoroughly enjoying our pool and easy maintenance plan. Thanks Troublefreepool, BBB method, and all other forum members. Now on to start doing upgrades, per recommendations on this site, and landscaping my pool!

Great post!!

I'm a new pool owner and our pool is brand new. I'm still learning the "personality" of my new "pet" but I really appreciate this forum as I have already learned a costly (but valuable) lesson - my CYA levels went through the roof because I was incorrectly using tri-chlor tabs in a float to fix a low FC problem that I should have fixed by just adjusting my SWG output...I'm working to fix the high CYA levels now by doing lots of backwashing (I can't drain half my pool water all at once) and I feel much better armed now that I've registered on this forum.

Once my CYA levels are back to normal, I plan to add borates to my pool following the TFP method. Thanks!!

After filling a new pool, what order do you start to adjust your readings? PH, ALKALINITY, FC, CYA? Do I start getting the pH in check before I even mess with alkalinity or do I just start dumping chlorine and conditioner and adjust from there after they are in check? Everything I've found is about re opening a pool not starting fresh.

After filling a new pool, what order do you start to adjust your readings? PH, ALKALINITY, FC, CYA? Do I start getting the pH in check before I even mess with alkalinity or do I just start dumping chlorine and conditioner and adjust from there after they are in check? Everything I've found is about re opening a pool not starting fresh.
There are some general rules, but it would be best if you started a new thread and posted your test results.

OK, I am new here on this site, but not new as far as caring for my pool for the past 15 years. Pool has been beautiful and sparkling for the most part. Although 2 years ago, I had battled algae. Reading through the TFPC for beginners document, I notice there was no mentions of weekly algecide additives ( I use 6 oz of All-60 weekly) , no mention of "poolperfect/phos free" and no mention of "scale free" as far as care and maintenance for the pool. Are you folks saying that the old BBB method, now the TFPC method does away with these chemicals?
I do have a Hayward inline chlorinator being used with 3" tabs, but I see that this forum site discourages that also. Just trying to learn here.
Oh,...I just ordered a TF-100 kit online, so that should get me going in the right direction.

Sorta in the same boat. Ditch the in line chlorinator or only use it until your cya levels are good, then use liquid bleach. 5 chemicals you need are the bleach, borax, baking soda, muriatic acid, and potentially cyranitc acid. Bleach keeps the algae at bay as long as cya(cyranitc acid) levels are good.

That cya is good at keeping your bleach/chlorine from burning off, but too much of a good thing neutralizes it and it stops killing the algea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.