Leaking Pump

TechJPC said:
Bama Rambler said:
Your local pool store most likely has them in stock and will probably be as cheap as ordering one online.

Thank you, I will check them out.

Called a bunch of places and nobody can help me. Been searching online and cannot find anything.
Since it was said that it sounded like the bearings are going too, would it be best just to get a new motor/pump ?

I get my pump motor shaft seals from poolcenter.com. If he has a spa or a salt water chlorine generator, make sure he gets one of the upgraded ozone service seals. He will also need to use the proper pump seal lubricant. I got mine from spadepot.com since poolcenter.com was out of it. There is a great video on ussealmfg.com that shows how to properly replace a shaft seal and a nice step-by-step website at: http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_ ... _seal.aspx

JimM01 said:
I get my pump motor shaft seals from poolcenter.com. If he has a spa or a salt water chlorine generator, make sure he gets one of the upgraded ozone service seals. He will also need to use the proper pump seal lubricant. I got mine from spadepot.com since poolcenter.com was out of it. There is a great video on ussealmfg.com that shows how to properly replace a shaft seal and a nice step-by-step website at: http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_ ... _seal.aspx

Spoke to PoolCenter and it seems that the pump is a Speck E71. He said the bearings def sound like they are on their way out. I think he just wants a new one. Should I recommend he get the same one or maybe a Hayward, etc ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not sure I follow. A bearing and seal costs about $17. That with an hour labor and you are rolling. Why do you need to spend $450 plus on a new pump? You have to watch some pool places (Like Leslies) because they like to gouge you on the little stuff.

A quick 5 second google search found this:
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-84309- ... parts.aspx

I found that with my pump they didn't show the motor bearing either. There will be 2, one on each end of the motor. Take it apart, pull the bearings off and take it to a bearing supply house. Mine were $6 each so I replaced both while I had the motor apart. If you don't have the right skill get the seal from your local pool place and hunt down a local electrical motor repair shop. They can easily change the two bearings for you. My point being they make these pumps with common parts. It's not likely your pool pump is going to have some one off NASA built bearing in it.

My motto is that it is already buggered up so you have nothing to lose by trying to fix it yourself. The worst that will happen is you have to buy a new one anyways..

It seems to me that so many of the motors I see in pool pumps look like the ones I sold when I worked at an HVAC parts house. The motor the runs your condensing unit fan blade likes in a quite similar environment in similar speed ranges with similar loads. I could be wrong but boy they look similar .

Motor shops can be a great resource.

fordsbyjay said:
I am not sure I follow. A bearing and seal costs about $17. That with an hour labor and you are rolling. Why do you need to spend $450 plus on a new pump? You have to watch some pool places (Like Leslies) because they like to gouge you on the little stuff.

A quick 5 second google search found this:
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-84309-speck-model-e71-pump-parts.aspx

I found that with my pump they didn't show the motor bearing either. There will be 2, one on each end of the motor. Take it apart, pull the bearings off and take it to a bearing supply house. Mine were $6 each so I replaced both while I had the motor apart. If you don't have the right skill get the seal from your local pool place and hunt down a local electrical motor repair shop. They can easily change the two bearings for you. My point being they make these pumps with common parts. It's not likely your pool pump is going to have some one off NASA built bearing in it.

My motto is that it is already buggered up so you have nothing to lose by trying to fix it yourself. The worst that will happen is you have to buy a new one anyways..

I get all my parts from them! Great online company and always get all of my ordered parts. :-D
I got my pump seal, o-rings, impeller, and bearings from them + lots of other stuff.

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.