Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Leaking Pump

Leaking Pump

Hi, a friend of mine sent me this video of his pump leaking. I don't know what to tell him.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://db.tt/sdQifBFQ

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks, Joe

New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

Re: Leaking Pump

That looks like a leaking seal. It's pretty easy to replace.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Senior Member In the Industry

Bama has it correct. Leaking shaft seal. Sounds like the bearings are going too.
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    That looks like a leaking seal. It's pretty easy to replace.
    Thanks, do you know of a place to purchase online or should I just ask local pool store?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks, Joe

New Jersey

Your local pool store most likely has them in stock and will probably be as cheap as ordering one online.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Your local pool store most likely has them in stock and will probably be as cheap as ordering one online.
    Thank you, I will check them out.
    Thanks, Joe

New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by TechJPC
    Thank you, I will check them out.
    Called a bunch of places and nobody can help me. Been searching online and cannot find anything.
    Since it was said that it sounded like the bearings are going too, would it be best just to get a new motor/pump ?
    Thanks, Joe

New Jersey

I get my pump motor shaft seals from poolcenter.com. If he has a spa or a salt water chlorine generator, make sure he gets one of the upgraded ozone service seals. He will also need to use the proper pump seal lubricant. I got mine from spadepot.com since poolcenter.com was out of it. There is a great video on ussealmfg.com that shows how to properly replace a shaft seal and a nice step-by-step website at: http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_ ... _seal.aspx
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.

Quote Originally Posted by JimM01
    I get my pump motor shaft seals from poolcenter.com. If he has a spa or a salt water chlorine generator, make sure he gets one of the upgraded ozone service seals. He will also need to use the proper pump seal lubricant. I got mine from spadepot.com since poolcenter.com was out of it. There is a great video on ussealmfg.com that shows how to properly replace a shaft seal and a nice step-by-step website at: http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_ ... _seal.aspx
    Spoke to PoolCenter and it seems that the pump is a Speck E71. He said the bearings def sound like they are on their way out. I think he just wants a new one. Should I recommend he get the same one or maybe a Hayward, etc ?
    Thanks, Joe

New Jersey

Senior Member In the Industry

"When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.

I am not sure I follow. A bearing and seal costs about $17. That with an hour labor and you are rolling. Why do you need to spend $450 plus on a new pump? You have to watch some pool places (Like Leslies) because they like to gouge you on the little stuff.

A quick 5 second google search found this:
    http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-84309- ... parts.aspx

I found that with my pump they didn't show the motor bearing either. There will be 2, one on each end of the motor. Take it apart, pull the bearings off and take it to a bearing supply house. Mine were $6 each so I replaced both while I had the motor apart. If you don't have the right skill get the seal from your local pool place and hunt down a local electrical motor repair shop. They can easily change the two bearings for you. My point being they make these pumps with common parts. It's not likely your pool pump is going to have some one off NASA built bearing in it.

My motto is that it is already buggered up so you have nothing to lose by trying to fix it yourself. The worst that will happen is you have to buy a new one anyways..
    19000 gallon inground fiberglass pool
    Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S244T 62 gal/min
    Whisper Flow WFE-2 / 011511 1/2 hspr pump
    Aqua Rite Pro SWG, T9 cell for 25000 gal

It seems to me that so many of the motors I see in pool pumps look like the ones I sold when I worked at an HVAC parts house. The motor the runs your condensing unit fan blade likes in a quite similar environment in similar speed ranges with similar loads. I could be wrong but boy they look similar .

Motor shops can be a great resource.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

Quote Originally Posted by fordsbyjay
    I am not sure I follow. A bearing and seal costs about $17. That with an hour labor and you are rolling. Why do you need to spend $450 plus on a new pump? You have to watch some pool places (Like Leslies) because they like to gouge you on the little stuff.

A quick 5 second google search found this:
    http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-84309-speck-model-e71-pump-parts.aspx

I found that with my pump they didn't show the motor bearing either. There will be 2, one on each end of the motor. Take it apart, pull the bearings off and take it to a bearing supply house. Mine were $6 each so I replaced both while I had the motor apart. If you don't have the right skill get the seal from your local pool place and hunt down a local electrical motor repair shop. They can easily change the two bearings for you. My point being they make these pumps with common parts. It's not likely your pool pump is going to have some one off NASA built bearing in it.

My motto is that it is already buggered up so you have nothing to lose by trying to fix it yourself. The worst that will happen is you have to buy a new one anyways..
    I get all my parts from them! Great online company and always get all of my ordered parts.
    I got my pump seal, o-rings, impeller, and bearings from them + lots of other stuff.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.