Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In new territory.

1. Back To Top    #1

In new territory.

I have not needed help with my pool chemistry in a long time because of the great people here! I thought I was well educated on pool chemistry, but this is all new to me. We installed a new pool liner in May and the chemicals were balanced. Then...we have only been swimming once in the past month because both kids got sick (but not at the same time). Also, we received 29 inches of rain from Tropical Storm Debby at the end of June so lots of water was dumped out of the pool. In the meantime I had been dumping liquid chlorine in the pool every chance I could, but ran out and didn't want to take the sick kids to buy more, so we used some chlorine tablets from a friend. The pool looks great and never looked anything but clear. Now...we are finally feeling better so I went out to check the pool chemical levels and was so shocked at what I found that I tested again.

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    TC 3.5
    pH < 6.8 (test doesn't go lower than that and it was very yellow)
    TA 10
    CH 260
    CYA 80

So, I am blown away. Where did my TA and pH go? I knew I was flirting with CYA disaster using the tablets, but never thought all the other stuff would happen. I figured the worse that could happen was high CYA that would get diluted and dumped out when we got more rain.

I'm off to use the Pool School Calculator to correct these problems, but would love to know the how and why I got this way so quickly and any advice on fixing it. We did have aerial spraying for mosquitoes a couple of nights ago. The plane flew real low over the house about three times. Thankfully the county got a special permit due to an out of control mosquito population after the storm. I have no idea if that had anything to do with it, but we are happy they sprayed! I have liquid chlorine now, but I have nothing to correct any of the other stuff.

Thanks in advance for any comments! Even the "well, duh!" ones!
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In new territory.

Quote Originally Posted by numberonenole
    Where did my TA and pH go?
    probably here:
    Quote Originally Posted by numberonenole
    so we used some chlorine tablets from a friend.
    One of the problems with using tabs, they lower ph (and TA).

What does your water look like? If it is clear, then you could try to run with the 80 ppm cya, but you will need to be vigilant keeping your FC up.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Relax. Get your TA and pH back up whe hey belong. CYA will likely get adjusted during the next wet spell, but in the meantime, keep your FC up where the Pool Calculator tells you.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses! The next wet spell has already occurred. Nice little tornado warning and inch of rain within 30 minutes. Hopefully my CYA has gone down!

Regarding raising the pH and TA, I want to make sure I understand correctly. When I went to the pool calculator to see how much I need, soda ash is listed only with the pH category, but Pool School says soda ash will raise both the TA and pH at the same time. I love a good 2 for 1!

Which do I start with (pH or TA) and can I use the soda ash for both based on the pH calculations? I'm certain my TA is from 0-10, but my pH is so low it won't register on the tester so should I just start with a guess of 6.5?

Thanks again!
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I suggest that you first use baking soda and get your TA around 60 or so.

Then, use borax and get the pH up to 7.4ish.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!