Variable Speed Pump

scubatampa

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Tampa, FL
I am looking at replacing my 1 horse power stayright pump with a variable speed pump for my 11,000 gallon pool. The pool also has a small 6 foot diameter spa attached to it. The spa pump is set up to be used only for flow from the spa to the heater back to the spa through the jets. The Pool pump can take water from the pool, to the filter, then heatpump, then salt clorinator, and finally out to the spa or pool or a combo. The pool output to the spa exits out the botom of the spa and can thus be used as a fountain as well.

I would realy like to spend the money on a large enough pump that can replace both pumps by putting in the necesssary valves and plumbing to do just that.

However, I am not sure what size pump I should be looking at and what pumps. I have talked with my local Pinch a Penny and they sell both Hayward and Pentair and are pushing the Pentair. Then the other place in town that I go to pushes Pentair. I just want some real information not from a sales person.

Pool is a 14 X 28 foot pool. Depth is 3 feet on each side and goes to 4 1/2 feet in the middle.

Welcome to TFP!

Using a variable speed pump is not usually cost effective in areas with electric rates below $0.20. Using a two speed pump generally ends up costing less in the long run. Combining your two pumps into a single pump does introduce some complications, though it can be done. For example you will most likely need a much larger filter, as the filter will now need to handle the entire flow rate for the spa, which is normally much higher than the flow rate for the pool alone.

Getting a variable speed pump eliminates the need to think about what size pump you need, as the variable speed will be adjustable to any "size" you might need. If you get a single speed, or two speed, pump it should probably be the same size as your current spa pump, unless you were dissatisfied with the strength of the spa jets.

Keeping the two loops separate is simpler and less expensive, given it is already setup that way. Your best bet is probably to replace your current pool pump with a smaller two speed pump and leave the spa alone.

Hayward and Pentair make very similar pumps. People tend to have strong brand preferences, but really there is a much larger variation in quality between different models lines within either company than there is between the two of them.

Perhaps you could give us more information about your situation. I am making a few assumptions here and there, for example that your current spa pump is working, and that you have a typically sized filter. If you tell us what your underlying goal is, for example saving money, or perhaps getting the gas heater setup so it can heat the pool, or whatever, we can give you better advice.

Thanks for the information. I will try and give you more to go on.

1: I live in Florida and my electric rates are around .15-.19 depending upon how much electricity we use. Summer we are in the .19/KWH.

2: I can see you thought process on keeping two pumps in place, and it make sense. I thought that going with one would have been better, but you are right, I probably would increase the cost and possibly cause other issues.

3: I had not thought of using a two speed pump. I currently have a 1 horse power pump on the pool, what suggestions would you have for a replacement two speed pump? The pool is 10,500 and has a 6 foot diameter spa atached that I can have the return directly to the spa and spa and pool or just the pool.

I am looking to save money moving to a variable speed pump, and if I will get some good savings with a two speed pump, I am willing to go that route if it makes more sense. I curently run my pump around 10-11 hours a day, 6 hours in the winter.

scubatampa said:
3: I had not thought of using a two speed pump. I currently have a 1 horse power pump on the pool, what suggestions would you have for a replacement two speed pump? The pool is 10,500 and has a 6 foot diameter spa atached that I can have the return directly to the spa and spa and pool or just the pool.
Post the models of your current pump and filter. You might be able to just replace the motor with a 2-speed and keep the pump head.

I took a picture of the model number and came back with this:
AO Smith Square Flange 1 HP Pool Motor USQ 1102

Is a 1HP motor large enough for my 10,500 gallon pool? Would I be better getting a larger motor that would not have to run as much? Or is that not actually how things work with pools. Sorry if I am asking stupid questions.

Took a little searching on what I believe is called the impeller, but I found a stamped aluminum model number.
P2RA5E-181L
I did a google search and found the following
StaRite Swimming Pool & Spa Pump 70 GPM 1 HP # P2RA5E-181L

I found a two speed motor for this: AO Smith 2Green Premium Efficiency 2 Speed, model B2982T. It was $400.00 plus I would need to get $27.00 kit with gaskets, o-rings and the such. Not sure if this is what I should be looking at or not?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.