Pool beautiful and sparkly but CYA 100+

Thanks for the info on this sight. The pool has never looked better. :-D Switched from the pucks to liquid chlorine back in April. All I use now is liquid chlorine daily and muriatic acid weekly. Would there be any reason to drain out some water to get the CYA down? It likes to stay over 100. Thanks.

It is possible but not easy to manage a pool with that sort of CYA level. We don't recommend it. CYA will ever so slowly decline on its own, plus excessive rains can dilute it if that causes the pool to overflow. The normal water loss due to backwashing and the refill needed after that will slowly allow CYA to decline.

Are you on water restrictions? If you can manage it, a partial drain and refill is best. If you do it all at once you waste less water however the backwashing of the filter will happen regardless. It is a choice, can you stay on top of this really well for a year or more? It probably will take that long for the CYA to decline on it's own. Any slip up, you get sick, go on vacation, big storm that knocks out power or adds debris to the pool will lead to algae which is a bear to fight at CYA of 100+.

It can be done, because I've done it, but it's not something I recommend, either. You're treading a very thin line, because if you let FC slip and get algae, you'll be forced to drain or buy bleach by the barrel. Minimum FC should be 8 or above, so a regular test kit is useless. You have to use the FAS-DPD test to be accurate, so I hope you have plenty of refills waiting.

I understand the reluctance to waste water. So do what I do: use pool water on the lawn, then refill the pool. I move valves around and empty the spa into the pool, then refill the spa from the hose while using pool water on the lawn. And then set everything back to normal and it mixes fine. In my case, a spa-load of water plus another inch or two from the pool will water all the lawns quite well. And replace about 5% of the water each time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.