Which is correct shock level?

Bent6

May 12, 2012
Jackson, TN
The Pool Calculator says my shock level should be 17

The CYA chart and everyone else says it's more like 22.

Which one is it?

I've been holding it at 22 -26 for the past 24 hours with the pump running 24/7 but still not passing the OCLT. I think it would have passed last night if it weren't for the fact that I had 10 kids who insisted they swim in it yesterday which probably set my progress back a little bit. My water is clearing up but still a little cloudy at the bottom of the deep end. Obviously I have to keep it at shock level until it passes the OCLT but once it does do I need to keep it at shock level until it's completely clear?

How big of a hurry are you in? Use to higher number to go faster. Remember that in shocking, you never want to drop below the level, so your minimum shock level is about 17, dose up to at least 22. I would not let kids go in at above 17, will burn nose and privates, IME. So yes, letting kids swim added some time to the process but sometimes you have to let them in the pool.

To pass the test it must be clear. So keep going. Sand filters take longer, I read that you can add a bit of DE to help, but I do not know details of that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.