Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: muratic acid ratio for DE cleaning?

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylorsville, MD

muratic acid ratio for DE cleaning?

I just bought a gallon of muratic acid to clean the fingers on my DE filter...but am confused as to the mix ratios

the manufacturer (Hayward) says a 1:1 ratio of 20% muratic acid

the acid itself says it is just under 40% Hydrochloric acid

any insight?

i read last night a guy used a 5 gallon bucket and added the gal of acid and 4 gals of water...this would be the 20% mix rate, correct?
    Using BBB successfully for over 5 years!

16x32 vinyl grecian, Hayward EC65, 1hp super pump, Clear solar cover, Loop-lok winter cover, "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel suction cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    First, always add acid to water, never add water to acid!!! It is also a good idea to wear eye protection and gloves and avoid breathing the fumes.

Diluting 20% 1 to 1 gives you 10%. If you are starting with 40% then you dilute 3 to 1 to get to 10%. Four times as much volume when you are done (3 of water and 1 of acid is 4 parts total) gives you 1/4 the strength. If your acid is actually 37.5%, which is one of the common strengths, then you actually want 2 3/4 of water to 1 of acid to get to 10%.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School