Probably stupid questions?

Jul 26, 2012
All New Water in Pool this last Wed. Last night went to get CYA (first time to put in) and Walmart Out of Stock atm. Lots of other pool chemicals there though :shock: I will pick up some at the pool store today, and put in sock, in skimmer. I did go ahead and put the bleach in (first time) like it said I should (84oz) yesterday evening. We tested CL level this morning and think it was a 3 on my walmart 6way tester. Ph 7.8

So tonight this evening I should test again, and plug in the numbers again? I should ignore the CYA once a put it in though right, as I will have already have put it in and it will take a week after putting it in to get a reading. The question... Should I wait a week before maybe adjusting the CYA? How often do you peeps put in more CYA usually? So ignord the CYA numbers for now and put in that it is already at 30 to get the correct doseage of bleach to put in? How often do you test the CYA? The kit just comes with a few tests.

I believe the proper way would be , once you add the amount of CYA to your pool as per the pool calculator and what ever the end result level of your CYA is , that is what you try to maintain your FC level to, you basically assume your CYA level is there after its dissolved from in front of your return jet in a sock (not the skimmer).Once your CYA level is where you want it there is no reason it should change unless you replace a bunch of water by draining or swimmer splash out, and it cannot raise unless you add more CYA or any other chemical that has any CYA in it... Hope that makes sense??

You only need to test CYA once or twice a season, plus after any adjustment in the CYA level. CYA will go down very slowly through the season, so if you start at the high end of the recommended range, you should still be in the range by the end of the season.

Thanks for the replies!

JasonLion, I plugged in a target of CYA 30. We just put in our pool, and we live in the Midwest. We will likley need to close the pool mid September (only 6 weeks from now :cry: ) or so, so does that matter? Thanks for your reply :cheers:

it does not matter when you close your pool the onlyy issue with keeping a cya of 30 is it is on the low end o the acceptible range for a non swg pool and you will lose more fc to the sun evryday vs a cya of say 50, you will use a little more bleach and just be careful not to let your fc drop below the min......Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.