Polaris 360 Questions

May 29, 2012
I've read that many here are very happy with their 360's but I have a couple of questions.

1. Seems to me that with a full robotic cleaner, it is very easy. Just plug it in and go. With the 360, is dealing with the hose not kind of a pain?

2. The debris that I get in my pool tends to be very fine. Settling of dust etc from the water. Is the bag the only filtering media and if so, is it fine enough to catch fine particles?

I am trying to decide between the Dolphin Nautilus and the 360 and any feedback would be appreciated.

DISCLOSURE: I have a Polaris 380 with booster pump and I have only owned it 3 weeks and used it twice so far.

ram0115 said:
I've read that many here are very happy with their 360's but I have a couple of questions.

1. Seems to me that with a full robotic cleaner, it is very easy. Just plug it in and go. With the 360, is dealing with the hose not kind of a pain?

Not for me. I store the unit in the shed, I go grab it and bring it to the pool - hook up the bag (kept separately due to fear of rodents and other creatures damaging it) and toss it on while holding the hose. I then walk around to the hose connection (quick connect) and with the pump off I hook it up. Then I go turn the pump and booster on and watch it go to work.

ram0115 said:
2. The debris that I get in my pool tends to be very fine. Settling of dust etc from the water. Is the bag the only filtering media and if so, is it fine enough to catch fine particles?

Yes the bag is the only filter. I have sand in my pool - maybe from a faulty filter. The all purpose bag is doing a great job getting this up - but that's pretty coarse compared to what you are looking to get. The 360 has a Sand/Silt bag available but I have no idea if this would work but I think it might.

ram0115 said:
I am trying to decide between the Dolphin Nautilus and the 360 and any feedback would be appreciated.

Can't help on this point.

But here's a good Youtube for the 380. The 360 is very similar.
[youtube:3k78974r]VHNeIx9poM4[/youtube:3k78974r]

Here's one that specific to the 360 - I have not watched this one.
[youtube:3k78974r]__RPLvisssM[/youtube:3k78974r]

I like my 360, I have the sand/silt bag and my bottom is usually spotless when the cleaner is in the pool. It takes a little fiddling to get the machine to run the way you want it to, but once you have the trajectory setup the way you want, you can just plop it in the pool at let it work.

You do have to check on it occasionally because there is a course screen that attaches to the connect fitting on your discharge. That screen will get clogged eventually which will reduce the thrust of the cleaner which will lead to the cleaner stalling out. You need to unhook the fitting clean the screen and reconnect. It takes like 5 minutes.

The only other thing is that I can't get the cleaner to climb vertical walls, it might need more pressure (it'll climb slopes). I run 27-28 psig filter outlet typically. Every weekend, I'll scrub the walls which isn't a big deal.

I've heard of problems with parts wearing out early, but on my second year, I've had no issues with the exception of a worn out o-ring.

All in all, my pool is surrounded by trees and my cleaner keeps the pool clean. My life has gotten a lot easier and my pool looks a lot nicer since I bought that cleaner. I have a hard time taking the cleaner out of the pool because I know when I do, I'll see debris at the bottom in a few hours.

Mike

If you have fine debris you can add a womens knee high stocking inside your filter bag (some models you need to use a rubber band to hold it in place) and it will catch the fine dust. These stockings are great to hold powdered chemicals that you need to keep in one place (like ascorbic acid for stains).

MichaelT said:
If you have fine debris you can add a womens knee high stocking inside your filter bag (some models you need to use a rubber band to hold it in place) and it will catch the fine dust. These stockings are great to hold powdered chemicals that you need to keep in one place (like ascorbic acid for stains).

Does anyone have pictures of something like this?

I had the polaris 360 (pressure only - no booster pump) for 10 years and when it was time for a rebuild I purchased an Aquabot instead. The Aquabot does a great job but there are more considerations with the Aquabot, if you are considering unattended operation or letting the kids take the cleaner out while you are at work then the Polaris would be my choice. With the Polaris you don't have to think about leaving it in the pool. It will start an stop with the pump timer. The Aquabot has to be removed and cleaned when the cleaning cycle is done. The Polaris will not get the fine debris but it is much easier to operate if you have a dedicated return for the cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.