Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cya ???????????

1. Back To Top    #1

cya ???????????

I am having problems with my cya. I tested this morning and got a 50 I was outside in the sun with my back to the sun, I tested this afternoon again outside but there was no sun to much cloud coverage and came up with around a 30. I know the 50 was rite this morning cause I poured the solution back in the bottle and checked it about four times and it always came out to 50. Does the sun make that much of a difference on how the test reads?
    24x52 sharkline heritage agp,Hayward power flo lx 1h/p,Hayward s210 sandfilter, and tf100 test kit
    BBB method and pool rover jr

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cya ???????????

Yep, there is a fine line between seeing and not seeing the black dot. The sun makes a big difference.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

So I am rite to assume that my reading this morning of 50 tested in the sun would be the correct reading?
    24x52 sharkline heritage agp,Hayward power flo lx 1h/p,Hayward s210 sandfilter, and tf100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The test outside this morning is much more likely to correct. But you can't be 100% sure. Assume CYA is around 50 for now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. So should I be using the chlorine levels that the pool calculator are telling me to use or the cya/chlorine chart numbers? I am new to this pool chemistry stuff but I feel like I am doing fairly OK. I am loosing around .5 to 1 ppm overnight and around 40 to 50 percent fc during the day and my pool gets between 12 to 14 hours of direct sun in a day. My water is clear and have had no cloudy water at all.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dennard
    Thanks. So should I be using the chlorine levels that the pool calculator are telling me to use or the cya/chlorine chart numbers? I am new to this pool chemistry stuff but I feel like I am doing fairly OK. I am loosing around .5 to 1 ppm overnight and around 40 to 50 percent fc during the day and my pool gets between 12 to 14 hours of direct sun in a day. My water is clear and have had no cloudy water at all.
    You can use #'s from the PoolCalculator or the CYA/Chlorine Chart. With 50 CYA, maintenance FC level is between 4 and 8, and never below 4.

Shock level is between 16 (poolcalculator) and 20 (CYA/Chlorine Chart). Both work, just one is a little more aggressive.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the information I am at .5 to 0 CC

8. Back To Top    #8

I am really bad at telling when the dot disappears. So much so that I honestly have no idea what my CYA is- somewhere between 30-50.
    16k gal IG pool with SWG and DiamondBrite finish
    Pentair Intelliflo pump with 520 sq ft cartridge filter