Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair motor replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair motor replacement

My neighbors' pump motor was making a grinding noise and when I turned it on it started smoking.

Since I have turned out to the neighborhood pool guy, I'll be replacing it for then.

Details -

Pentair
    Part 7 - 177475-20
    FR - Y56Y
    Type - CX

Please suggest a replacement motor, where I can buy it and any tips/tricks for installation.

Thxs

Phxaz
    18,000 IG pebbletec with a waterfall and four deck jets. Intelliflow VS3050, Pentair Trinton TR100 sand filter, heater and Pentair Easytouch w/ SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair motor replacement

[rul=http://www.troublefreepool.com/pentair-whisperflow-seal-replacement-how-to-w-photos-t10763.html]This topic[/url] covers the disassembly/reassembly process quite well. You won't need to replace all of the seals they did, but you will need to do the shaft seal and impeller removal/reattaching.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe that is the full rated 1 HP correct? The E-Plus Centurion B2982 is a new high efficiency two speed motor that should work pretty well plus it gives the pool owner the option of low speed to save energy.

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017047678.htm
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick reply

I have watched youtube vidoes of the shaft seal and impeller remove/replacement. That link is very helpful as well.

I like the suggestion on the pump, but would you have a single speed that you recommend? They are looking to spend as little as possible.

Hence me being the repairman!
    18,000 IG pebbletec with a waterfall and four deck jets. Intelliflow VS3050, Pentair Trinton TR100 sand filter, heater and Pentair Easytouch w/ SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

If they go with the duel speed, is there anything else i need to do with the setup?

They have basic timer, intermatic t101p201

7. Back To Top    #7

A two speed timer would be useful although you could wire a manual switch. The T104 + T106 is the most common but you can also add just the two speed timer portion (T106):

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02400001004824.htm
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

thxs, sounds like the single speed will be easier for me to install

9. Back To Top    #9

Have you taken the pump off to see how the motor runs by itself. Maybe the bearing is just seized up not allowing the motor to turn. I would take it apart and take it to a local electric motor shop and ask them to look at it. That's what I did with my last one and sure enough it was burnt up but there has been other times when a simple repair can be made. For how much new motors cost I would at least look into it.
    19000 gallon inground fiberglass pool
    Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S244T 62 gal/min
    Whisper Flow WFE-2 / 011511 1/2 hspr pump
    Aqua Rite AQR Pro SWG, T15 cell for 25000 gal