Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: closing pool with power cover

1. Back To Top    #1

closing pool with power cover

my 16X32 inground pool has an electric power cover. my local pool supplier is urging me to purchase a winter saftey cover and not use the power cover as the winter cover. is this neccassary

2. Back To Top    #2

Crystal Lake, IL

Re: closing pool with power cover

We have an automatic pool cover also. We just bought the house last year and the manual says you can use it in the winter provided the cover rests on the water and not above the water.

However we didn't know the age of the cover and the prior owners husband purchased a winter cover and water bags. She didn't know why and they were never used. Also, the current cover is a Coveratar and the first 3 inches of the webbing on both sides is torn (which i read somewhere other people had the same problem). So we used the winter cover instead of the auto cover so we wouldn't risk any more tearing. We don't have any problems with rain water but wasn't sure about large amounts of snow causing damage.
    18,000 Gallons 16x32 In Ground Vinyl
    Purex Triton TR-60 Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1-1/2 HP (P/N 340039)
    MiniMax Gas Heater * Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend
    Coverstar Automatic Cover * Built in 1993

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: closing pool with power cover

thanx, thats my situation here and ive used the power cover the past two season as a winter cover, kept rainwater pumped off as much as possible. hope thats all i need to do