Calcium Hardness Questions - Help Please

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
Hi everyone,

I have a vinyl lined pool and using a SWG for chlorine. From my understanding from reading here, CH levels don't really matter in a vinyl pool. I tested my CH and it is 140. Now my question is doesn't low calcium hardness damage the equipment, like the heater and maybe the salt cell? Should I raise it up a bit? If so, is this stuff okay to use:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/1171-ice-melting-compounds/19337.html

Thanks, Dave, I really aprpeciate it and I've read the pool school, but just read it again (I think you can never read it too much). So I don't need to worry about my heat exchanger then? Also, I am seeing some orange-ish residue on the inside of the eyes of the returns. I also noticed it when I cleaned my salt cell yesterday. It's more orange than it is a brown color.

All test numbers look good I think. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to keeping things balanced so these numbers have been pretty consistent over the summer. I asked our pool builder what he thought of the orangey stuff. He said he didn't know what was causing it but he's been seeing it in more pools this summer. Makes me wonder if it's something in the fill water or from the ozone.

FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH 140
CYA 65
Salt 3200
pool temp 82

Hi Dave, sorry about that, I must overlooked that question. Yes, it will come off if I rub my finger on it in the return eyes. As far as seeing it on the cell, I poured the water/muratic acid solution into it and so I hadn't tried rubbing the orangey stuff off first. The cleaning solution took it off immediately. Thanks! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.