New Taylor kit and FC problems....

Jul 3, 2012
So I got my Taylor K-2006 kit a couple weeks ago and it's been working great for me. I left for a few days and did an FC test this morning. I got no color change whatsoever when adding the R-0870 powder. Never had this problem before. So I added an amt of chlorine that should have brought the FC up from 0 to about 5 and I STILL got no color change. So I added the same amount again. Same result. My pool now must have a shock level of chlorine in it and the kit is detecting no FC. So I simply mixed some chlorine with tap water at a very high concentrate and tested it....still nothing. What gives? Could my R-0870 in my two week old kit have gone bad? One thing to note is that I recently overshot raising my PH and got it way up somewhere in the 8.2-8.4 range. I don't think this can have an effect on the FC reading and certainly wouldn't explain my problem with the tap water mix.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Do you have an OTO chlorine test (drops turn the sample shades of yellow which are compared to a color chart)? They are commonly sold combined with a PH test as the simplest test kits. The FAS-DPD test can (very) occasionally give false zero readings, but the OTO test is extremely reliable at telling you chlorine (yellow, orange, red, or brown) or no chlorine (clear).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.