main drain not pulling?

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
We have a main/bottom drain in our AG pool. Seemed like a work saver when we talked to installer about it and thought about it.

WELLLLL it does not seem to do much of anything-leaves and bugs just float by it :( when it the pump is on low. Even when I put the pump on high and close the skimmer line it does not do much. It will hold a leaf on it but I have to put the leaf on it otherwise it just floats on by.

I guess my question is this-how much does YOUR main drain pull? Everything else is working great!

Kim

Standard main drains aren't really designed to do much so I wouldn't expect much out of them. They are deliberately designed to reduce the suction force and the chance of entrapment so you will not get much debris moving toward them. They have only a few inches of cleaning radius and about the only thing they are good for is deep end circulation but you can get that using other methods such as a cleaner, deep return or even a return pointed to the deep end. So IMHO, I don't see much value in them.

Funny you posted this question, I just was wondering the same thing.......I thought ours was broke. Me and my daughter were playing and I dove down near the main drain to get a torpedo and put my hand near it and thought I would be able to feel some suction like I do from the skimmers, and pretty much didnt feel anything. Asked my hubby about it and he said it was fine. I guess they aren't meant to be pulling in too much water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.