Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete sealant question

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete sealant question

Hi All- Purchased my house and it came with a pool. I believe the current age of the deck is about 20yrs old. It appears that it can use some sealant, areas in the sun seems a bit faded and there is some small sand that comes off the deck, evident when sweeping.

I was looking for options to seal the deck myself. I annually power wash and occasionally use a deck brush with bleach to take care of any mold/dirt. Any options are appreciated. Attached are pics in it's current state.

Attached Images Attached Images
    9.5k IG Pool
    Plaster (Diamond Brite)
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Northern Virgina

Re: Concrete sealant question

I have an exposed aggregate concrete deck that is probably about 30 years old and still in pretty good shape. I power wash it every two or three years and have considered sealing it, however, I have not done so because I'm concerned that it would be too slippery. My front walkway is stamped and sealed concrete and it does get slippery when it rains. It looks great (charcoal gray flagstone design) even after ten years, but I don't think I would want that type of surface for my pool deck. There may be other types of sealant that are less slippery, but I'm not aware of it.
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.

3. Back To Top    #3

We just did a floor in a garage we are converting to an apartment and we found a commercial sealer Menard's just started carrying. They have different degrees of gloss or no gloss and I believe you could get something you could add to it to make it none slippery.

Because what we did was a floor not expected to be wet/slippery, we went with high gloss and it looks great!

There are several companies that carry the none-slick additive now I believe as I questioned husband as to if we should use it.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just South of Atlanta, GA

Use H&C SharkGrip, it is added 1 pound to 5 gallons and mix well.."take to store to get a machine mix"

Makes no chage in color and is none slip.

I used it on my stamped concrete and have not had any issues.
    16 x 36 IG Vinyl 27,000 gal, AutoPilot DG-220 SWG RC-42, Dolphin Premier bot.