Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tested fill water today

1. Back To Top    #1

Tested fill water today

I have a hole in the ground so, of course, that means I need to test my fill water. After all, I could be swimming next month (fingers crossed)! I have a Taylor K-2006C.

Anyway, here's what I got:

pH=<7.0. It took 2 drops of the base reagent to bring it up to 7.0

TA =80

CH= 120

Kind of surprised to see the pH so low. Since I am getting a SWCG and I have a sand filter, this may help reduce my acid demand maybe? What other comments does anyone have?

Edit: Whoops, forgot FC=0.8
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Tested fill water today

That looks like pretty ideal fill water. Is it from a well?.....hope not.

Don't understand your reference to a sand filter and pH....there is no relationship.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    That looks like pretty ideal fill water. Is it from a well?.....hope not.

Don't understand your reference to a sand filter and pH....there is no relationship.
    Nope, not a well. It is a very large rural water district.

I meant that since I would be backwashing frequently due to the sand filter and needing to add fill water just as frequently, and since my fill water is acidic, it would be like adding water and acid at the same time! Don't know how much difference it would make but I thought it might reduce my demand for acid due to the SWCG. Just a thought...
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Your low pH fill will certainly help reduce the acid demand for the SWG. If you keep adequate chlorine in the pool, you will not be backwashing enough to make any difference.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Backwashing isn't something that you will do often unless you get a lot of debris in your pool, have a heavy swimmer load that likes their sunscreen, or have an algae outbreak.

I can see where you would be in good shape with a swg, being that anytime that a backwash or top off happens at the same time you need to lower your ph your fill water will help you do that without the addition of acid... if you add enough water at any given time to make a difference.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Our last pool had to be backwashed weekly. It will be interesting to see how the new one will behave.

Thanks everyone!
    Blaine

My pool build:

7. Back To Top    #7

Backwashing doesn't really drain that much water from a pool. And weekly isn't bad AFAIK, but I have a cartridge, clean about once every 2 months.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing