Liner Replacement Question- thanks in advance for reading!

Jul 28, 2012
Land of Oz-Kansas
Boy oh boy! What blessing to find this site. I have had a devil of a time trying to move my pool from one spot to another. Anything that could go wrong has. Here is the sordid tale, along with my questions. Thanks so much, in advance for your help and feedback. I'm attaching pics.

Bless you for allowing questions and offering your expertise. I am at my wit's end with my pool!! I thank you in advance for your help, truly!

About 10 years ago I installed a 15 x 48 round, metal walled above ground pool. How I did this virtually by myself I do not know, but I did and as I recall it took no more than a few days! Due to illness our pool hasn't been opened for several years. In trying to find help to change the liner and filter, I encountered a gentleman who was willing to do it. He then suggested we move the pool to a sunnier spot, since back in the day I was a total newbie and I hadn't put it in an ideal location. It was under two trees. I was reluctant to move the pool since it had been standing for so many years with no problems. The walls were stable. But I let him talk me into it. His first visit to start the move was on June 28th, 2012.

It is now July 28th and the pool is STILL not installed! We found out upon digging up the pool, the wall had rusted below the ground and the track was all but destroyed. Thus I ended up having to unexpectedly purchase a brand new pool. I have an autistic nephew who has a few joys in life, swimming being one of them. My daughter and I taught him to swim in the old pool. I am just so determined to do this for him, but it has cost so much for parts, tools, pool, etc., not to mention we've been working on this thing like a part time job since June!
The "helpful gentleman" soon petered out, as the job was more than he anticipated. I tried to warn him, but he repeatedly insisted "it won't be that bad to move it." In hindsight, I think he embellished his pool building skills quite a bit and I was a dummy to allow the move. It's hot as Hades here in Kansas right now, so he soon tired of all the work out in the heat everyday. When he abandoned the project, I still had equipment I'd purchased, a new pool, sand, new filter, covers, liner etc., so I was in too deep to simply abandon the project. The new ground had also been cleared and leveled. But I also know everything happens for a reason, so whose to say that if we had only replaced and not moved, the wall wouldn't have broken anyway. So I try to believe this is/was a blessing in disguise. It's been very disheartening though and hard to keep plugging away at it, but we have been troopers!

My daughter and I have spent every free day we've had working on this pool. I don't remember it being so difficult. I feel as though we were jinxed somehow! I'm sorry to bend your ear, but I'm giving you all this background to explain why I'm wanting to try the solution I'm asking about today. On the old pool, since I was a single mother doing the whole thing on my own, I cleared the ground by hand. It was "mostly" level, but when the old pool was done, there was about a gap, but no more than a foot difference, in the sides. Near the skimmer side it was more shallow than the opposite side with the ladder. This caused the water to spill over the side when it was full, but other than that, it stood for many years with no other problems. Luckily the seam side of the wall was on the shallow, skimmer side, so any additional pressure was distributed along a straight, solid wall.

This time, the ground is mostly level in my opinion. I made sure the stone slabs under each connector are level. There may be a slight difference similar to what I noted with the old pool's overall depth, but not quite as bad. This is not the current problem (and we've had problem after problem trying to get this puppy up and going!). We've got the wall up, cove built and we were ready to hang the liner last Monday. Here's where the newest snag begins.

We measured the pool, as it appears round to the naked eye. The dimensions are- on three sides it is about 14 x 11, on one side it measures 15 x 5. We are measuring from side to side (like drawing two straight lines through a circle), going through the middle of the pool. The liner has about a one foot gap on one side making it impossible to stretch the liner to fit the pool without caving part of the wall in. We tried the installation on a day when it was well over 100 degrees, so that isn't the problem. I also found the original invoice for the liner (I bought it last year, but due to illness was not able to take on this project, so I saved it for now), so I know I have the correct size- 15 x 48/52. But after two attempts to hang the liner, one side is on and appears relaxed/loose, but the other side won't fit at all. I know we could move the track in, but somehow that doesn't seem as though it would make the liner fit, then there is the issue of would it cause the wall to need to overlap. SO, my solution is to buy a 16 by 48/52 liner and roll up the excess, leaving the pool shape/dimensions as they are. That one foot of difference should cover any overage in diameter, and wouldn't be that big of a deal with regards to the overhang.

My question is, do you foresee great problems with doing this, if all the vertical, top and bottom stabilizer rails are firmly in place? The old pool was a bit off and had no problems. I would like to know if you feel this slight discrepancy would cause problems later down the line? I'm tapped out on money and sanity :shock: . I did have a person (a pool installer willing to do it as a side job) yesterday offer to finish it for $250. But, I have issue with that because to me, all the hard work is already done! Plus I've spent all I can trying to get this thing right and just don't have it. My nephew checks on our progress everyday. I feel so bad that it is not done yet.

So is this liner idea worth a try? If it is, have you had good luck with using Bestbuypoolsupply.com? They have the cheapest price. I've used InTheSwim in the past, with no problems. I got this liner from Doheny's who of course would not do anything since I'd had the liner a year. I understand that, but it is possible that this thing just doesn't fit. At any rate, a 16 x 48/52 seems like it would be the easiest solution, and the least aggravating. But with as hellacious as this experience has been, I don't want to do it, if the pool will eventually collapse or something!

I appreciate any advice you can give. Time is running out, I hope the child will get to dip in a finished pool at least once before school starts again! :(

Again, thank you in advance for your help! I've attached pictures to give you an idea of what we're working with.

Pictures:

1. The pool as it looks now
2. The gap that won't stretch to fit the rest of the pool
3. The other side which does seem to fit

Attachments

• resizefullview.gif
    resizefullview.gif
    113.6 KB · Views: 201
  • resizegapview.gif
    resizegapview.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 201
  • resizefiview.gif
    resizefiview.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 201
Re: Liner Replacement Question- thanks in advance for readin

With a larger liner the excess won't be in the length but in the width. It doesn't look like there is much overlap on the side where it has already been hung, you should have at least a foot of overlap so it won't get pulled into the pool when you fill it up. I would check if a pool store would come and measure for a liner if you buy it from them and see if the cost is worth the effort. There are folks here with more liner replacement experience and I'm sure they will offer advice sometime soon.

Thanks Zea! I hadn't thought about that until I wrote to a pool guy I found online. My original plan was to try an 18 x 48 liner! I didn't even think of the width overlap I'd have. So I scrapped that idea and came upon the 16 foot instead. The gap measures about 1 foot, so I'm thinking there won't be much width to take up. The overlap on the opposite side of the gap doesn't have much hang, probably about two inches or so. I was thinking that seemed too little also, since on the old pool, I remember having to exacto knife off a bit of extra. This has no extra, even on the side that does fit.

I'm telling you this pool has been one thing after another! I'm emotionally drained from it, lol That's why I'm hoping I'll get the nod on trying the 16 foot. I don't think I can face having to take the wall off the track to adjust those dang things one more time! But if it turns out that is best, I'll do what I gotta do I guess.

Sounds like your pool is a little oval instead of round. You should be able to get the liner to fit as it shouldn't be that tight. Try starting just to the left of the skimmer place the liner over, set the seam on the bottom to where it should be. Then let in the liner about 2 inches and stretch the top of the liner with you as you go. As you do this place your coping strip and metal coping to lock it in place as you go. When you are about a third of the way around you then go back to where you started and go the other way. This should give you all the material you will need to finish. When your close and its still a bit tight, with about 6-10 feet left just get the liner to go over the top. It doesn't matter for fit just yet, just get it over. Once it is over, kick the bottom of the liner towards the part that isn't coped yet. This will give you the extra liner you need to secure it down.

That's it, secure the top rail with screws and turn on the vacuum for suction and size the liner on the bottom the best you can while vacuum is on. Keep vacuum on until water is up the wall a couple inches. Shut off vacuum and continue filling. A shop vacuum hose goes into the skimmer cut out and between the liner and wall. Don't place hose down all the way, stay about 8 inches from the bottom cove.

I am attaching a free pool liner guide from my web site http://www.davesabovegroundpools.com/.

Don't go with the 16x48 liner it will only make life harder for you!

There are companies that build to order! Two are http://vynall.com/ and http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/. I am sure there are more out there.

Good Luck,
Ma Pool Guy

If I understand you correctly your old pool was about a foot deeper on one side than on the other. You didn't have any problems with it and it appears that the new pool is about off a foot as well with one side being about a foot deeper than the other side. Is that correct?

Your pool is off by not being completely round, making it lopsided. You are trying to force a round liner into a space that is not round, but lopsided.

I know you don't want more work. I feel for you. I truly, do as I know how some of these projects end up being nightmares. Been there done that on some things.

To me it would make more sense to take the pool down, level it some more. Do you know some one that could possibly help? Call your local organizations and explain what you are doing. Sometimes volunteers will offer there services for free to the handicapped and if you are wanting this partly for your nephew, it might be worth a try. Are there some teenage boys you know with strong backs that might be willing to help? Even if they are not quite teens, I have seen some preteens work on the cheap for something to do and some pocket money. What you would be spending on a new liner could go for the labor part.

Use a long 2 by 6 board 8 feet long (with one end in the exact middle of where you are putting the pool attach it to the ground and swing around) with a level on top to make sure that the ground is as level as possible. It would seem that 15 foot is doable for you. Then I would mark a circle as big as the pool with board to make sure it as truly round. Lay out the bottom rail and go from there. I would lay the liner out in the sun and heat for a bit prior to trying to install it.

I am a complete novice when it comes to pool installation, but from what I have read on various threads the above should help alot.

Mapoolguy said:
Sounds like your pool is a little oval instead of round. You should be able to get the liner to fit as it shouldn't be that tight. Try starting just to the left of the skimmer place the liner over, set the seam on the bottom to where it should be. Then let in the liner about 2 inches and stretch the top of the liner with you as you go. As you do this place your coping strip and metal coping to lock it in place as you go. When you are about a third of the way around you then go back to where you started and go the other way. This should give you all the material you will need to finish. When your close and its still a bit tight, with about 6-10 feet left just get the liner to go over the top. It doesn't matter for fit just yet, just get it over. Once it is over, kick the bottom of the liner towards the part that isn't coped yet. This will give you the extra liner you need to secure it down.

That's it, secure the top rail with screws and turn on the vacuum for suction and size the liner on the bottom the best you can while vacuum is on. Keep vacuum on until water is up the wall a couple inches. Shut off vacuum and continue filling. A shop vacuum hose goes into the skimmer cut out and between the liner and wall. Don't place hose down all the way, stay about 8 inches from the bottom cove.

I am attaching a free pool liner guide from my web site http://www.davesabovegroundpools.com/.

Don't go with the 16x48 liner it will only make life harder for you!

There are companies that build to order! Two are http://vynall.com/ and http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/. I am sure there are more out there.

Good Luck,
Ma Pool Guy

Thank you SO much! This really does help. The only problem is, I ordered the 16' liner when I didn't get many responses after a few days. It hasn't come yet, but I could certainly try what you suggest and then return it unopened if that works. I will visit your website for sure! Thanks for being Ma Cyber Pool Guy :whoot:

poolgranny said:
If I understand you correctly your old pool was about a foot deeper on one side than on the other. You didn't have any problems with it and it appears that the new pool is about off a foot as well with one side being about a foot deeper than the other side. Is that correct?

Your pool is off by not being completely round, making it lopsided. You are trying to force a round liner into a space that is not round, but lopsided.

I know you don't want more work. I feel for you. I truly, do as I know how some of these projects end up being nightmares. Been there done that on some things.

To me it would make more sense to take the pool down, level it some more. Do you know some one that could possibly help? Call your local organizations and explain what you are doing. Sometimes volunteers will offer there services for free to the handicapped and if you are wanting this partly for your nephew, it might be worth a try. Are there some teenage boys you know with strong backs that might be willing to help? Even if they are not quite teens, I have seen some preteens work on the cheap for something to do and some pocket money. What you would be spending on a new liner could go for the labor part.

Use a long 2 by 6 board 8 feet long (with one end in the exact middle of where you are putting the pool attach it to the ground and swing around) with a level on top to make sure that the ground is as level as possible. It would seem that 15 foot is doable for you. Then I would mark a circle as big as the pool with board to make sure it as truly round. Lay out the bottom rail and go from there. I would lay the liner out in the sun and heat for a bit prior to trying to install it.

I am a complete novice when it comes to pool installation, but from what I have read on various threads the above should help alot.

Thank you for the empathy Granny! That helps more than you know. As a matter of fact, my daughter's beau just moved into town and he is more than willing to assist. So if we have to re-do, he will be of great help.

I especially like the board method for leveling. I wish I had known more about that the first time I did the pool! I've always said DIY pooling is not for the faint of heart, and this experience has certainly validated that point, lol Thank you SO much for taking the time to respond with such great advice! :wave:

I know we set up our used 15 foot by 30 foot. Son-in-law thought we could tackle it and we did some things wrong. Our ground looks level, but in reality our pool is about 6 or 7 inches off level. So we have a deeper end and then the shallow end. I know most on the board would be horrified that we are using the pool that way. We have not had any problems with it and this is a our 5th summer with it. It has worked to our advantage as we have young grandkids and as they "grow" into the shallow end they are able to enjoy the pool a tad more and have learned to swim without their floaties once they can touch there. At the present time we 3 3 year olds and 1 2 year old that are still in the "you must have your floaties on" when in the pool (and of course an adult has to be in the pool as well).

When we go install a new liner we will get everything leveled up and put up according to the tips on this forum.

Good luck -- take a deep breath -- and know that you CAN do this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.