Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing pool with BBB method

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing pool with BBB method

I will be using our usual pool closer this Sept-what do I need to do before hand with the BBB method? This is my first summer with this method-should I increase my chlorine the week of closing and tell them not to any any additiona chemicals? Also, next spring when they open the pool, should I say "NO Chemicals" or check my CYA first and then decide. I had to drain due to high cya which I can thank years of pool store advice for. I'm more concerned about my closing for now and any advice would be appreciated.
    Kris
    In ground 26,000 gal. 16x36 Avg depth-6'
    Vinyl
    sand filter used 24/7
    auto cover
    Elgin/Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing pool with BBB method

Raising FC to shock level about two days in advance, and then adding polyquat the day before is a good approach.

What to tell the service company depends on how much you trust them. You will likely need CYA in the spring. Some companies will add all kinds of un-needed things unless you are very specific, others are happy to do things exactly the way you tell them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What is polyquat for and how much?
    Kris
    In ground 26,000 gal. 16x36 Avg depth-6'
    Vinyl
    sand filter used 24/7
    auto cover
    Elgin/Illinois

4. Back To Top    #4

Polyquat is a great algaecide that does not contain copper. Make sure you get it in the 60% variety, 30% works but isn't as strong.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have a mesh cover that lets in any light you might want to hold off on closing until your water temps get in the 50-55 degree range. Waiting to close with the temps in this range and opening before the temps get above this range really improves water quality when you open.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I would imagine that with it being cold and having a cover on the chlorine loss is going to be small, but do you continue to monitor and add chlorine throughout the winter months?
    9K gal. IG Fiberglass Pool
    1 HP Pentair SuperFlo Pump
    240 sqft. Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Non-SWG