Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Results TF-100 Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Results TF-100 Kit

I've been reading the sight, postings and went to pool school. Honestly I feel like my brain is going to explode with all of the information I'm trying to absorb. Right now its a little bit of information overload. I think once I get the pool in balance, the BBB will become pretty much idiot proof. This my 2nd year as a pool owner and based on what I've read on this sight, I haven't done too much correctly taking advice from my local friendly pool store employee. My pool water has always been clear and the test sticks always read everything was fine. I ordered to TF-100 kit after finding this sight and just took my first readings today. Here are the results.

FC: 15
    CC: 0
    Ph: 7.2
    TA: 100
    CYA: 100

Last night I did the quick test from the blue box (Taylor kit) and the Ph was below 6.8 so I added a box of Borax. It brought the Ph up to 7.2 per this mornings readings. Also, I do have a chlorinator and have been using HTH Dual Action Chlorinating Tablets which have stabilizer and algaecide which I suspect is why my FC is so high.

My main concern is the health of my family swimming in the pool with these current readings. I have a 7 month old daughter who loves the pool. I read the pool calculator and based on the recommendations I'm to add more Borax along with baking soda.

Questions:
    * Are these current readings at safe levels for adults and especially a 7 month old to swim?
    * Any other recommendations on how to bring my levels with the "recommended levels" range in pool school?
    * Can I get by for the next 2 months or so ( I live in the Northeast so pool closes around mid-September) without having to drain my pool of water to get CYA down?

I appreciate any advice or opinions.
    24500 gal, Vinyl Above Ground
    2 HP - 2 speed Waterway Pump
    200 sqft cartidge
    Was using Hayward Chlorinator CL220 but switched to BBB in July

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Results TF-100 Kit

1. Your pool is just fine to swim in. FC is just a little high but pull the pucks from your chlorinator and it will start to come down.

2. You only have one issue that I see.....your CYA is twice as high as it should be.....most surely from the use of pucks. You can maintain FC up around 8-12ppm for the rest of the summer since it's getting a little late or you can do a 50% frain/refill to reduce your CYA.....it's the only way to lower it.

In either case, stop using the pucks and switch to chlorine (bleach).
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Results TF-100 Kit

Thanks Dave for the quick response. Much appreciated!
    24500 gal, Vinyl Above Ground
    2 HP - 2 speed Waterway Pump
    200 sqft cartidge
    Was using Hayward Chlorinator CL220 but switched to BBB in July