Discharge of pump through filter draining out ?

roadking00

LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Any ideas what could be leaking or causing my what I believe my filter and return side draining down when the pump is off ? When ever my pump is down over night my strainer basket becomes empty just about to the bottom of it,about 6inches or so below the suction inlet piping (still water in the pump it seems but basket not full) and when the pump starts it ends up pushing whatever air is now in the piping and filter out the jets and of course the filter vent when I'm out there to vent it off?? Could it be my multiport valve possibly leaking off to backwash ? Is it beneficial to add a check valve or 2 when I re-pipe my pad this fall, after the filter or anywhere else in the system to prevent this ??

Suction side leak ??
Probably not since the bubbles clear up and go away. That means the leak must be somewhere on the return (pressure) side but usually shows up as visible water (even a drip) when the pump is running.

I suppose it could be in the multiport which might hide the visible water but I would look elsewhere for a water leak on the entire pressure side before I opened the multiport.

10-4 thanks Dave, that's where I'll start.. if its something simple and obvious I'll fix it now...but if its something more or can't find it I guess it'll be fine til I re do my whole pad and piping after this season ends...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.