Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Discharge of pump through filter draining out ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Discharge of pump through filter draining out ?

Any ideas what could be leaking or causing my what I believe my filter and return side draining down when the pump is off ? When ever my pump is down over night my strainer basket becomes empty just about to the bottom of it,about 6inches or so below the suction inlet piping (still water in the pump it seems but basket not full) and when the pump starts it ends up pushing whatever air is now in the piping and filter out the jets and of course the filter vent when I'm out there to vent it off?? Could it be my multiport valve possibly leaking off to backwash ? Is it beneficial to add a check valve or 2 when I re-pipe my pad this fall, after the filter or anywhere else in the system to prevent this ??
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Discharge of pump through filter draining out ?

Pump running, are there any bubbles visible in the pump strainer basket?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Pump running, are there any bubbles visible in the pump strainer basket?
    For a little bit , then eventually it clears out and is solid water... Suction side leak ??
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Suction side leak ??
    Probably not since the bubbles clear up and go away. That means the leak must be somewhere on the return (pressure) side but usually shows up as visible water (even a drip) when the pump is running.

I suppose it could be in the multiport which might hide the visible water but I would look elsewhere for a water leak on the entire pressure side before I opened the multiport.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

10-4 thanks Dave, that's where I'll start.. if its something simple and obvious I'll fix it now...but if its something more or can't find it I guess it'll be fine til I re do my whole pad and piping after this season ends...

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Look at the pump drain plugs, even a tiny imperfection in their O-rings can cause this problem, and not be an issue when the pump is running.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!