Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maximum chlorine level from a given salt level?

1. Back To Top    #1
    North Central WV

Maximum chlorine level from a given salt level?

I was thinking the other day about chlorine production from salt and wondered, what is the relationship between ppm of sodium chloride and the maximum amount of chlorine that could be generated in a volume of water?

Imagine that I have a black 50 gallon drum filled with water containing 3000ppm NaCL. Lets suppose that I plumb my pump and SWG into the drum and let it run continuously with the SWG on. How high can the chlorine level get? Is it a matter of converting all of the salt to chlorine before it stops?

I realize this may belong in the Deep End or 201. Please move if needed.
    Moved to The Deep End. JasonLion
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Maximum chlorine level from a given salt level?

Yes, and no. In practice, no there is no relationship. Technically, yes there is be some limit, it just doesn't matter. Any FC level you would actually want to use is so far below the theoretical limit that it can never come up. You would have problems for reasons unrelated to the salt level long before you could get near the limit. Bleach is made with a very similar process to how a SWG works, and bleach has concentrations of chlorine 10,000 times higher than what you would use in a pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School