Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should/can I use cal-hypo?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should/can I use cal-hypo?

Looks like my CH may be low (need to double-check). If so, can I use cal-hypo for my chlorine needs? My local wally has HTH granules for $55/ 16lb bucket - ok deal? good product with no CYA? How do I use it?

Thanx as always.
    25000 gal inground curved L shape - concrete, fiberglass walls - with Jacuzzi Sherlock 160 cartridge filter, Laars Lite LLG gas heater & Klean-a-tron robot
    near the pool: Cookshack Smokette, Akorn Kamado grill, putting green
    in the shed: Deere greens mower, Simplicity FC-16 front cut mower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should/can I use cal-hypo?

You use http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to dose your pool with it. However, did you test your CH yourself or did a pool store test it? Once CH goes in, it doesn't come out.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Calcium Hypochlorite is an excellent unstabilised sanitiser in areas of low calcium and/or soft water especially here in Scotland with HTH definately one of the better brands. In my money that works out as a really good price for HTH but with it being an American chemical company I would actually think you will be able to get it cheaper than that stateside. As Vette says, make sure you really need to increase CH levels before using it, if you are in a hard water area you may well get sufficient calcium from your tap water already without needing the extra expense of Calcium Hypo over Sodium/Bleach
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

4. Back To Top    #4

Got ya on pool calculator - I'm actually about 300 mi south of the pool today so can't test right now, but planning what to pick up on the way home. Looks like for each 1 ppm chlorine I need to raise, I'd add approx 1/3 gal bleach or 5 oz cal-hypo.

I don't see on the calculator where it tells how much CH a given amount of cal-hypo adds. Maybe I'm missing that. Assuming cal-hypo contains about as much calcium as CaCl, 5oz would add something like 1 or 2 ppm. I think I'm going to find my CH is down about 50 or so - I'll double check - so that's approx 12 lb CaCl.

Do I just toss in the cal-hypo granules? Mix 'em in a bucket first? Prev owners used pucks but their supply is about gone and I've got approx 50 CYA so am trying to get away from pucks.
    25000 gal inground curved L shape - concrete, fiberglass walls - with Jacuzzi Sherlock 160 cartridge filter, Laars Lite LLG gas heater & Klean-a-tron robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tj__r
    Got ya on pool calculator - I'm actually about 300 mi south of the pool today so can't test right now, but planning what to pick up on the way home. Looks like for each 1 ppm chlorine I need to raise, I'd add approx 1/3 gal bleach or 5 oz cal-hypo.

I don't see on the calculator where it tells how much CH a given amount of cal-hypo adds. Maybe I'm missing that. Assuming cal-hypo contains about as much calcium as CaCl, 5oz would add something like 1 or 2 ppm. I think I'm going to find my CH is down about 50 or so - I'll double check - so that's approx 12 lb CaCl.

Do I just toss in the cal-hypo granules? Mix 'em in a bucket first? Prev owners used pucks but their supply is about gone and I've got approx 50 CYA so am trying to get away from pucks.
    On the bottom of the page you can enter in different chemicals and it will show you the effect it has on your pool. Make sure you enter the correct amount of gallons your pool has!
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Vette
    Make sure you enter the correct amount of gallons your pool has!
    Yup, first time I put an extra zero in the gallons and got scared I'd need a pallet of bleach. Probably not too many quarter million gallon pools in my neighborhood.

7. Back To Top    #7

De-dusted HTH dissolves very well, but as per the instructions you should pre mix by adding to water first, then slowly add to pool.

Because it dissolves so well I usually add it straight to the skimmer, but I would never reccommend this procedure as a splash in the eye could easily result in the loss of said sight.

Stuart
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like my CH may be low (need to double-check). If so, can I use cal-hypo for my chlorine needs? My local wally has HTH granules for $55/ 16lb bucket - ok deal? good product with no CYA? How do I use it?

Thanx as always.
    Check your fill water also when you test for CH to be sure that both the pool CH is low and the fill water is low - otherwise as you fill it will rise.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Stuamurr
    a splash in the eye could easily result in the loss of said sight.
    Yeah, I'm going to toss a pair of safety glasses in the pool chemical pile. Even filling the tablet chlorinator seems like you could get a facefull if you drop them in.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Stuamurr
    a splash in the eye could easily result in the loss of said sight.
    Yeah, I'm going to toss a pair of safety glasses in the pool chemical pile. Even filling the tablet chlorinator seems like you could get a facefull if you drop them in.
    Absolutely use eye protection when dealing with chems. Also, as an add'l FYI, never store MA near chlorine products. MA and chlorine don't play well together. If they mix (outside the pool) they can kaboom. Best to store MA outside by itself.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I just got 100 lbs of ZapIt73 from Warehouse Pool Supply for $160. 73% cal-hypo.

This is fine for general chlorine needs as long as you are just a bit low on CH, if you are really low it may not make sense to take such a long time to get back to the right range.

In my pool, 1 cup of 73% cal-hypo gives me 2 ppm FC and about 1.something CH. So that is a daily dose of chlorine, but it will take a long time to add 60 pts to CH. For that reason I find this fine to get from the bottom of the suggested range to the middle or top of the range, but it one is far below the minimum, probably better to bite the bullet and buy some calcium increaser.

I recently found that I was low on CH. I had been having issues testing, globules formed in the test, and I was not certain of the readings. Let it go for too long in these heavy rains. Pool store read 200ppm hardness, I read 170 ppm CH, I think mine is correct. I bought some calcium increaser to get to 200 ppm, about 20 lbs, and will use the cal-hypo to get up higher in the recommended range.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.