Back Pressure??

jimsam

May 14, 2012
Collin County, Texas
What causes back pressure on the filter? I just cleaned the filter including the filter cartridges. The skimmer basket is clean as well as the trap at the pump. When the pool pump turns off at night, the skimmer basket and cover get blown right off. The next morning, I go out and the cover is off and the basket is half way out of the skimmer, cocked to one side; anything in the basket is back in the pool. I'm presuming a blast of air is doing this but don't know where it's coming from or how. If I'm using the MX8, it detaches in the skimmer. When the pump is running, the gauge on the filter unit says it's running at 15psi. Any suggestions? I believe this only started about a week ago.

If it's not one thing, it's another! Thanks!

Jim

You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system.
The air is then trapped (and pressurized) inside the filter.

When you shut the pump off, that air then pushes the water on the suction side back out through the skimmer and blows it off.

Find that air leak and your issues will be solved.

Now you've scared me; but given me a place to start. Scary, because it's almost 100% underground.

Being an optimist, hopefully it's the cover or the O-ring on the cover of the trap attached to the pump. I just replaced the cover about a month ago. The O-ring looked good so I didn't replace it. Sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks!

Jim

OK, I went out and unscrewed the cover and re-examined it and the O-ring. I cleaned the track where the O-ring sits, the O-ring itself and then I re-assembled. Because this is the last place I was when I replaced a cracked cover, this is most likely the cause of the air leak. When the cover was cracked, I could see air swirling about. I will keep an eye on that, too.

As I think of the logic behind your answer Duraleigh, I nominate myself for the "Stupid Question of the Week" prize.

Thanks again!

JIm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.