Prefilter the water before it hits the main filter/pump

tallpall

Jul 28, 2012
Just got my first pool installed....a 24' above ground. It came with the best pump and filter system teddy bear sells for this. Not real familiar with how it works yet but it has DE fingers and is supposed to keep the water real clear. That is gonna be a challenge for the filter....and got me to thinking it would be a great idea to put a prefilter in line.....between the leaf/lint trap and the pump filter. Ideally it would be unpowered....just a cannister that hold a cheap filter good for, say 50 micron size particles. Weed all that Crud out before the water hits the DE filter which supposedly is good for particles down to 5 microns. Pluses if the cannister is clear so I can see whats going on in there. Just switch out the filter when it starts looking crappy. Would plan on doing that every couple of weeks if the filters were cheap enough.
So I looked on the web for such an item and cannot find one. Due to my inexperience in what I am doing, ended up looking thru 160 pgs of ebay ads of pool pumps and filters and finding no satisfaction.
Guess I could build what I am thinking of. Get some cheap filters (like Intex "B"?) and build a cannister to fit, but I'd rather buy one ready made.
Anyone know of such a thing and where to go get it? Thx!

I think if you went to the pool store and got some skimmer socks you would accomplish your objective a lot easier and cheaper.
Good advice.

I know this doesn't address your question but having your water chemistry correct will do more towards keeping your pool clear than adding a filter. If you get algae or something else to cloud your water, the filter can often be irrelevant.

Thx for all the replies. I did drive out to a few stores today looking for what I'd envisioned. Ended up at Leslie Pools and talked to their install guy. He basically said what the consensus of your opinions amounted to....putting in my ideal prefilter would be unnecessary.....so I bought a pkg of their 'debris shield' socks and will try those installed on the trap screen. If I find a woman willing to give up a pair of scrap panty hose I might try that, too. Thx again all.

tallpall said:
Thx for all the replies. I did drive out to a few stores today looking for what I'd envisioned. Ended up at Leslie Pools and talked to their install guy. He basically said what the consensus of your opinions amounted to....putting in my ideal prefilter would be unnecessary.....so I bought a pkg of their 'debris shield' socks and will try those installed on the trap screen. If I find a woman willing to give up a pair of scrap panty hose I might try that, too. Thx again all.
Queen size kneehigh at Walgreens. 2 pr for a buck. Rumor has it Wallyworld sells ten packs even cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.