Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump is losing prime when jandy valve is on skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

pump is losing prime when jandy valve is on skimmer

Please help. I have been having some periodic loss of pressure while the pump is filtering. When the jandy valve is on drain it works fine. If I start to move it toward skimmer air starts pulling through and the skimmer is not pulling water into the motor completely. I don't lose all pressure but it is very low and the motor basket area has lots of bubbles. I use skimmer basket socks to keep large items, bus, etc from getting into the filter. The motor basket is clean and so is the filter. No leaking anywhere. Any suggestions?
    J Myers
    13,000 gal, in ground vinyl, sand filter, 7 years old, jacuzzi pump in Atl., GA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump is losing prime when jandy valve is on skimmer

Replace the guts with one from a similar, unused valve. If it's the gray valve and the grease cup is screwed in all the way, get a new one of those too. They screw in and out. You don't have to be too nice to the one coming out since it's going in the garbage anyway.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd look for low water level in the skimmer. Or a stuck weir. Sounds like you're sucking air.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply. The water wasn't low that why I was so confused. I had the help of the tech at Leslie's in Snellville, GA. He suggested that I replace the O rings in the Jandy valve and it fixed the problem. No more air leak! Thanks for you help!
    J Myers
    13,000 gal, in ground vinyl, sand filter, 7 years old, jacuzzi pump in Atl., GA