Am I being anal or is this a problem?

jragan

Jul 18, 2012
Fort Worth, Tx
Been lurking and reading here for a while. Just had an old AO Smith pump replaced with one of the new Jandy VS FLoPros but the plumbing on the output side seems a little restrictive (note the three 90s in a row forming a horseshoe into almost an S).

It would seem to me they could attach the base-plate/riser that came with the pump which would raise it enough to use a single 90...

So is this going to cause a restriction or is it just cosmetic?

The only good news is........the horseshoe is on the intake side. You'll probably be alright. I'd worry a lot more if it was on the return to the pool side. If you have any pump priming issues it can always be changed pretty easily.

woodyp said:
The only good news is........the horseshoe is on the intake side. You'll probably be alright. I'd worry a lot more if it was on the return to the pool side. If you have any pump priming issues it can always be changed pretty easily.
You're right, of course, it is intake-side and I'm not having any priming problems at all. So I guess I'll just get over it :eek: . Does your opening suggest there is possibly some other bad news that I'm just not seeing?

One comment on the pump -- It is insansely quiet compared to the old one. Unfortunately all the equipment is on the other side of the wall from the bed in the master bedroom so the old pump doubled as an alarm clock on the weekends. Not so any more (until the cleaner's old pump turns on...I'm kindof looking forward to it failing now so I can replace it with something quieter, too!)

Why is that good news? Head loss is head loss on either side of the pump but it is actually worse to have it on the suction side although that is pretty minor so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.