Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I being anal or is this a problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I being anal or is this a problem?

Been lurking and reading here for a while. Just had an old AO Smith pump replaced with one of the new Jandy VS FLoPros but the plumbing on the output side seems a little restrictive (note the three 90s in a row forming a horseshoe into almost an S).

It would seem to me they could attach the base-plate/riser that came with the pump which would raise it enough to use a single 90...

So is this going to cause a restriction or is it just cosmetic?
    Main Pool: Cl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (same height) // Jandy RS8 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy VS Flow Pro Pump + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jandy DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons
    Vacation Pool: NaCl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (elevated spa) // Jandy RS4 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy Stealth Pump (Converted to 2hp 2-Speed) + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jany DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I being anal or is this a problem?

The only good news is........the horseshoe is on the intake side. You'll probably be alright. I'd worry a lot more if it was on the return to the pool side. If you have any pump priming issues it can always be changed pretty easily.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    The only good news is........the horseshoe is on the intake side. You'll probably be alright. I'd worry a lot more if it was on the return to the pool side. If you have any pump priming issues it can always be changed pretty easily.
    You're right, of course, it is intake-side and I'm not having any priming problems at all. So I guess I'll just get over it . Does your opening suggest there is possibly some other bad news that I'm just not seeing?

One comment on the pump -- It is insansely quiet compared to the old one. Unfortunately all the equipment is on the other side of the wall from the bed in the master bedroom so the old pump doubled as an alarm clock on the weekends. Not so any more (until the cleaner's old pump turns on...I'm kindof looking forward to it failing now so I can replace it with something quieter, too!)
    Main Pool: Cl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (same height) // Jandy RS8 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy VS Flow Pro Pump + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jandy DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons
    Vacation Pool: NaCl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (elevated spa) // Jandy RS4 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy Stealth Pump (Converted to 2hp 2-Speed) + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jany DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Why is that good news? Head loss is head loss on either side of the pump but it is actually worse to have it on the suction side although that is pretty minor so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

All the elbows can make it easier for debris to get lodged when vacuuming
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp