Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Deep end floor drain cover missing

Deep end floor drain cover missing

We actually have the cover except somebody had screwed it in with non-waterproof screws and after the screws rusted the cover came loose. Is there any way to secure the drain cover in place without using screws?
    I/G Concrete w/spa 24k or 30k Gallons (I think lol)
    DE
    Nature2 thingy disabled
    Polaris 280
    Aqualink RS4

Re: Deep end floor drain cover missing

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs
    We actually have the cover except somebody had screwed it in with non-waterproof screws and after the screws rusted the cover came loose. Is there any way to secure the drain cover in place without using screws?
    Underwater epoxy perhaps - but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Look in aquarium section for ideas of that type.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

I was thinking of epoxying a heavy weight underneath the bottom part of the cover to weight it down and in place but the Hayward Pool vac might pull at it. If the weight were heavy enough it wouldn't matter. Just thinking out loud.
    DE
    Nature2 thingy disabled
    Polaris 280
    Aqualink RS4

Can you get the old screws out? If so, remove them and replace them with stainless steel screws. Should be able to find them at a big box store.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

It's not safe to allow swimmers to use the pool with the grate off. I would suggest that the pool not be used until a new grate can be properly secured.

Can you post the model number from the grate?

It’s from a Sylvan pool, a plastic hubcap / frisbee shaped disk 7 1/8” in diameter, the two screw holes are 5” apart, writing on the front says “Sylvan Pools Engineered For Care Free Swimming”. No part numbers or anything else and the old screws are rusted in place minus the heads. The Hayward pool vac is hooked up and there is no suction from any drains or skimmers.
    DE
    Nature2 thingy disabled
    Polaris 280
    Aqualink RS4

I had the same situation with the pool and spa drain covers in my Anthony pool. I secured each cover using two-part epoxy. You just need to apply two "dots" of the epoxy to secure each drain cover. This fix lasted for two years until I replastered my pool and had the proper drain covers installed. I was able to pop the old covers off easily.
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.