Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Initial Readings

1. Back To Top    #1

Initial Readings

New to the forum; posted my introduction in that section but I wanted to go ahead and get started...

Okay, I've ordered my test kit but I have some new Walmart Test Strips and wanted to go ahead and post those readings so I can at least get started....

My above ground pool is 5 years old, I have never had any trouble until this season and I can not get rid of green algae sediment on the bottom of my pool, no matter how many times I vacuum to waste, if I just vacum it to my filter it blows back out the jet and then causes an algae bloom, this has happened over and over this summer I have used bagged shock, bleach, lots of chlorine, it clears up everytime and then the algae sediment comes back and I start all over...

I dumped in six bottle of bleach last night so my free chlorine levels are going to be high but here are my readings today...

TH - 1000
    Free Chlorine - 5
    PH - 8.4
    TA - 120
    CYA - 100

Any and all help is appreciated...
    ~21,000 gallon Above Ground pool
    Sand Filter - Swim pro 25gpm
    2 HP Hayward pump
    Test Kit TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Initial Readings

Well, you'll need the shock process, that's for sure. But part of that involves filtering, so you need to start there. What kind of filter is it? If it's blowing stuff back out, something ain't right.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well now when I say it's blowing stuff back out I'm just assuming, I don't actually see it blowing back out; it's that we vacuum it all back up and by the next 24 hours the green sediment has returned...my filter is a sand filter and I changed the sand this year...
    2 HP Hayward pump
    Test Kit TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Received TF 100; Here we go...

Received my TF 100 today. Just to recap...my pool has had algae, bloom after algae bloom all summer, as soon as I get it somewhat cleared and start vacumming the remaining algae off the bottom I start the whole process over again...so here are my numbers...

FC - 0
    CC - can't calculate
    pH - >7.8 and <8.2 (the color is between these two numbers)
    TA - 100
    CA - 370
    CYA - 45

I am totally shocked about my CYA, I just knew that it was going to be 100+; after all the articles and posts I have read on this site I was convinced that my CYA was binding up all my chlorine but I guess not...I am also shocked about my FC being 0, I have been shocking and bleaching and adding numerous pucks for weeks...but any how I'm ready for your advice on what to do. FYI - I will be switching to the BBB method...
    2 HP Hayward pump
    Test Kit TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Received TF 100; Here we go...

Easy. Add Muriatic Acid to lower pH to about 7.2. Let it mix for at least half an hour. Then jack FC up to 16 and keep it up there. You'll be adding a lot of bleach and frequently, too. pool-school/shocking_your_pool is a must-read.

Some inspiration: topic48213.html

topic38593.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Just emphasizing what Richard has already posted....pool-school/shocking_your_pool will be your guide. You have been letting your FC come down too quickly so the algae simply regrows. Follow that article to a T and your pool will stay crystal clear.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you guys so much! I've printed the article and I'm off and running...

My numbers this morning were...
    FC 19
    CC 0.5
    pH 7.5

I think I'm on my way to correction...and to the store to get some more bleach for this evenings recheck
    2 HP Hayward pump
    Test Kit TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

An additional question??? My family and I will be leaving Friday night and not getting home until Sunday afternoon. Should I leave a couple of pucks in the skimmer for Saturday's dose of chlorine???
    2 HP Hayward pump
    Test Kit TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Pucks in the skimmer is not really the best idea. Since you will only be gone a few days, simply elevate your FC using bleach to allow for your absence....probably bringing the FC up to around 12-14ppm will do just fine.

A longer absence will require the pucks.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Update on the status of my water...

Today we returned home from our weekend trip, prior to leaving I elevated the FC level to 20, today my water was mostly clear with green sediment covering the bottom. We vacuumed the sediment off the bottom, backwashed the filter, and drained out the nastiest, green, foam I have ever seen. Post vacuuming the water was a little cloudy...

Today's numbers were...

FC 4.5
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA 40

I elevated the pool back to shock level of 15 and went ahead and added a little baking soda to raise the TA back to 100, will recheck pH tomorrow. This evening the water was very clear, not quite crystal but getting close , but had a new batch of green sediment on the bottom, so I brushed that back up. I'm planning on doing the overnight chlorine test tomorrow night to see if I pass that...As long as I keep getting the green sediment on the bottom should I continue to keep the chlorine at shock level? Anything else I should be doing? Thanks again for all your help, I will post pics soon too!
    2 HP Hayward pump
    Test Kit TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

You must maintain shock level , test, add repeat as often as possible preferably every couple hours and brush,brush,brush.....keep at it ,you will get it.....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

12. Back To Top    #12

Just wanted to post in and tell you all thank you so much for your help! 2 weeks ago my pool was a green swampy mess, today it is crystal-sparkling clear. It's so clear then when under water you can see a grain of sand on the other side of the pool. You all are amazing and your help is appreciated! Bleach for me from here on out...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2 HP Hayward pump
    Test Kit TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool looks great, nice job

I noticed you raised your TA up to 100 back a few days ago, our recommended range is 70-90+ ppm . See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...mmended_levels
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.