Looks like pump is losing it's prime. Leak?

Jun 4, 2012
Malvern, PA
Hi,

I've recently bought a house with a pool. About a week ago or so I've noticed that when I turned filter on, the pressure gauge wasn't going up and stayed at 0psi whereas I think it went right up before. I had similar issue before where pressure wasn't 0psi but it was low and ended up finding out that air got in due to low water level. That made low pressure and previous owner helped me find out that's what caused it and used air relief valve to let air out and it was back in business. I wasn't sure what was going on so I tried that and after about 30 seconds or so opening air relief valve, I saw water coming up through strainer lid. I figured that was it and kept timer on.

Couple of days later I turned filter on manually since I was home and wanted to use the pool earlier than usual time. As soon as I turned it on, 0psi again and I had to do exact same steps I took last time to get it going again. At this point I figured something was going on. Since then I've only kept OFF switch of timer and took out ON switch so it won't turn on by itself when I'm not home and be on with 0psi for hours.

While checking out the pump, I've found a leak from one of seam. it's slow but it's noticeable so I figured if it leaks, it can suck in enough air when it's off through that to loose prime? Am I correct to assume this? Also I could be wrong but I think pump wasn't making faint whining noise but it does now when it's on. Maybe I just need to replace gasket? or even worse to replace the pump?

This is picture of label that I took from pump.
2012-07-26_17-39-26_429.jpg

I can't post picture of where the leak is as I'm at work now but I think where I'm pointing with arrow are the area where leak is. First I thought it was other one next to it(like flange?) close to the strainer lid but it doesn't seem like it's that.
pump.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

I am guessing you have a Hayward SUper Pump or a Super II. What you are showing is indicative of the seal set needing to be replaced Its either that or the seal plate that needs to be replaced, in which case, the seal set is replaced anyway.

Scott

Thank you very much for your reply.

That's what I kind of guessed. Should I be concerned about whining though? Like I said before, it could have be just there that I just didn't care to listen for it till just now.

I'm assuming I have Super II since I have round strainer looking at this page to reference?
http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?Ic=1124

I've checked Seal Plate for Super II and there's 2 different models? One for before 1987 and one fore after 1988? How can I tell which one is right for mine.

If it is after 1988, I'm assuming it's this?
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX30...=UTF8&qid=1343408168&sr=8-1&keywords=SPX3020E
But this says it's for 2.5hp-3hp model and mine isn't?

Also, seal set you were mentioning would be this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PRHM07A83VWC6BTXVHT

Would I need any other thing to go with this such as lube or other sealant?

Bonus question: I didn't look hard but I think only label I saw was one that I posted earlier. How can I tell exact model of my pump?

Determining when simply means check the impeller. If it's an SPX2600 series impeller, the seal plate is an SPX3000E and if it's an SPX3000 series impeller, it's and SPX3020E Seal Plate. These are Hayward part numbers.

The seal set for the Super II is the same for the Super Pump.

Scott

I've looked in to this further and found SP2810X15 which I think is Hayward MAX-FLO - SP-2810X15

I've found diagram below.

APCP474.gif

The leak that I saw was between motor mounting plate and motor but not between seal plate and motor mounting plate. I'm not sure if there's seal kit for this one though looking at the diagram?

Thank you very much for your help so far. I'm ordering gokit2 now. One more question is that does it leak between motor mounting plate and actual motor when that seal kit fails? I mean the seal kit is on the other side of the motor mounting plate.

The go kit contains various o-rings and the motor shaft seal (which is labeled as seal assembly in the diagram above). If the motor shaft seal fails, then water will leak between the motor and the seal plate. Replacing the shaft seal and o-rings should solve the leaking problem you describe, but I don't think it accounts for your pump losing prime. Unless you saw enough water leaking out of the wet side of the pump (when it was not running) to drain the water out of the pump strainer basket, then the two problems are likely unrelated. Are you able to maintain the proper water level at the skimmers? If not, then you may need to investigate the possibility that you have a leak somewhere in your pool.

As for replacing the shaft seal, if you have a heater or a salt water chlorine generator, make sure you get proper seal for this type of application. There is a great video on ussealmfg.com that shows how to properly replace a shaft seal along with information on selecting the proper type of seal for your pool. There is also a nice website with step-by-step instructions at: http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_ ... _seal.aspx

Hmmmmmm That's not what I hope to hear(don't we all) It has noticeable leak when pump is running which I have not run it for couple of days now till I replace the seal. I've just tried to clean leaves and other things as much as possible and just dump some liquid chlorine to keep it sanitized. It does not however that I have see so far have leak while pump is off. I figured since it leaks, it would have enough opening to suck in air over night(it used to be off at 9pm and on at 2pm=17hours total) and that's why it's losing prime.

It seems to have little low water level but I figured between leaking while pump running(not much to make difference in water level though) and high temp, that would cause low water level.

hmmmmm This is getting little more confusing now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I got GOKIT2 installed although housing gasket seem about 1/2" too long. I've still managed to put it in and it's all good. Pump lid O-ring how ever(Strainer gasket?) was way too big so I couldn't use it. Everything went well and no leak. But you know something had to go wrong. When I put everything back together, I mounted capacitor which inyopools who I used their instruction didn't mention about wires need to be tucked under capacitor. The wire must have caught metal piece in center which spins and yanked it out of it's place. now I have one metal piece and to springs that I'm having hard time figuring out where it goes. :(

Got it!

This is the picture I've found and it looks like I have to mount flat side away from body of the motor and attach 2 springs on latches on side. One of spring is little stretched but I assume it's ok for now.
centrifugalswitch.jpg

I'm thinking I need a new motor eventually since noise will get worse but I figured we only have a month or so before it gets too cold to swim. I figured instead of buying a new motor only to stop using it and let it stand out in harsh weather, I will buy new motor when I open the pool. That way, I get good use out of the motor before winter time.

That brings which motor I should get. I've seen it's better to get energy efficient ones and dual speed etc. Which model would be good candidate to replace considering fit, power etc? I've read that those model might cost little more initially but pays itself in a year or two.

Thank you very much for all the help so far. Now I can change out seal without even looking at the instruction! :)

Well, it seems my plan won't work. Motor is getting too loud that I can't turn it on during night time and even day time is pretty loud.

Can you recommend power efficient motor that I can just bolt on based on information that I have provided so far with current motor?

I looked around before and found this
http://www.amazon.com/A-O-UST1152-2...ie=UTF8&qid=1344387414&sr=8-1&keywords=st1152
Which I think I need 1.5hp model? Picture I took shows 1.5hp but total says 2.2hp?

This one is sold by amazon and looks same model but more expensive?
http://www.amazon.com/Smith-ST1152-...ie=UTF8&qid=1344387414&sr=8-2&keywords=st1152

but my motor looks like this with ting on top of motor?
http://www.emotorpro.com/112hp115230volt19698amps56jframeaosmithpoolpumpmotor-st1152.aspx

Would this work too? I mean this is cheap compared to others
http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.c...-Motor-15HP-Up-Rated-Single-Speed_p_4318.html

I don't think any of motor I've shown are dual speed or power efficient model. Can you please specify exact model so I can shop around and buy it as soon as possible?

Again, thank you very much to everyone who have jumped in to help me so far! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.